A&H

Milwall vs Bradford City

Will Triffitt

Level 7 Referee
I don't know if anyone watched this game last Friday (20th may) but it was the league 1 play off semi final between Milwall and Bradford. we'll ignore the result but I want to come to something that happened at the end of the game. When I have found the video link on a computer that I can find it on (don't ask!) I'll post it. However, from about the 75th minute, Milwall fans started coming onto the pitch and then going off again. The official added on time correctly for all the different stoppages (I think it was about 5 mins). In the last minute it happened again and at one point they kicked the ball away. The ball went back to the Bradford GK, the ref went up to him and obviously said 'smash it and sprint towards the tunnel I'm gonna blow the whistle'. I assume the assistant at the other end was warning the keeper too. As the GK kicked the ball and started running towards the half way line, the other officials came onto the pitch and everyone ran off. (Not a great description, sorry). It worked well but there was still some issues. I know most of us don't referee in front of that many people but was very interesting to see his management of the situation.

The Referee Store
This was 2nd leg wasn't it?

Millwall were ahead over the 2 legs by two clear goals, so if literally seconds left, sounds like referee took all 3 "teams" safety into consideration over applying letter of the law

Sure there are other (better) videos - but - this one shows what happened ... looks well managed and those furthest away - including far-side AR - got a good sprint in :)

From 1m 40 ...

Yeah it was @PinnerPaul .Horrible way to celebrate. No need for what the Milwall fans did but I'm a Bradford fan so that's my view!!! The ref had a poor game though in my opinion

It's pretty standard for referees to do this when it is obvious there is going to be an invasion, you don't want to be caught in the middle of it and you need to protect your assistants.

The FA and police need to do something about this as it is only sooner rather than later that a player or match official will be seriously injured. Entering a football pitch is illegal yet a blind eye seems to be turned when it is a semi-final or the last game of a the season. There was an incident in the Hull vs Derby semi-final last week where a fan confronted Derby's captain, and it is alleged that in the Scottish Cup final Hibs fans who had invaded the pitched assaulted Rangers players.

Last edited:
I remember when Watford beat Leicester in Play-Off semi-final and Michael Oliver had obviously said something similar to his far-side AR, as he was 25 yards on FOP when the whistle was actually blown!!
I also recall, from the same season, Mr Stroud blowing for full-time from pretty much in his dressing room! He was certainly closer to the tunnel than he was the ball...!

Back