A&H

Mics or Go Pro

Jimmy Squirrel

Hi
My lad is 14.New to referreeing.Yesterday he got dog's abuse from a manager and parents sadly.Neither group cared that he's new and 14 years old.He is deflated today.
Anyone know if he is allowed to wear a mic or go pro to protect himself from the what happened yesterday,? If people know he has either then it might deter abuse?
Thanks

The Referee Store
Hi
My lad is 14.New to referreeing.Yesterday he got dog's abuse from a manager and parents sadly.Neither group cared that he's new and 14 years old.He is deflated today.
Anyone know if he is allowed to wear a mic or go pro to protect himself from the what happened yesterday,? If people know he has either then it might deter abuse?
Thanks
Safer not to do so and not allowed by The FA.

What your son should do is:
1) Report the abuse through the usual channels, which will hopefully have been explained during/after his course. If he doesn't know how to do it, ask the League Referee Appointments Secretary for guidance.
2) Report the abuse to the League Referee Appointments Secretary by phone or e-mail. He should at the same time request a mentor for his next two games.
3) Most county FA's provide evidence of a referee being under 18 (in my county, an armband) Your son should have been advised of the system where you are.
In the case of abuse to a referee wearing an armband or similar, disciplinary sanctions are increased automatically.

Sadly there are ignorant adults out there, and only by reporting each time will it be addressed.
Best wishes to you both.

As he is under 18 and making a report, both clubs will get an interesting letter from the CFA to explain what happened. The clubs (in England) are meant to have a safeguarding officer, whose responsibility (among others) is to ensure that U18 referees do not suffer this abuse. With the new FA plan for refereeing, the clubs are going have to start managing their parents, or they will be having regular trips to meet the FA officials.

Also, the league will want to know as this reflects on them.

Sorry, but reporting is the only way to protect your son and future referees from this.

Thanks
As Chas has said, your son shouldn't be wearing one (unless in one of the trial leagues). Any evidence on it would be inadmissible to a disciplinary hearing, and would actually result in your son being charged with a breach of the refereeing regulations.

And we haven't seen the result for the trial yet, but I don't think it will cut down on verbal abuse. Probably will on physical (both actual and threat) it will work, but for verbal abuse, it will only be able to support the cautions / dismissals the referee makes. If they do nothing, then the CFA can do nothing.

Safer not to do so and not allowed by The FA.

What your son should do is:
1) Report the abuse through the usual channels, which will hopefully have been explained during/after his course. If he doesn't know how to do it, ask the League Referee Appointments Secretary for guidance.
2) Report the abuse to the League Referee Appointments Secretary by phone or e-mail. He should at the same time request a mentor for his next two games.
3) Most county FA's provide evidence of a referee being under 18 (in my county, an armband) Your son should have been advised of the system where you are.
In the case of abuse to a referee wearing an armband or similar, disciplinary sanctions are increased automatically.

Sadly there are ignorant adults out there, and only by reporting each time will it be addressed.
Best wishes to you both.
Absolutely agree here.

If he is new to refereeing, I know that lots of CFAs offer mentors now - having a mentor there could be really helpful, and also, another witness if there is any BS again.

Sorry to hear that he had an unpleasant time. It will get better!

Back