A&H

Michael Oliver - Riddle me this…

BAFRA #77

Why have we allowed our top referee in the run up to the most important part of the season to fly halfway around the world on a non-UEFA appointment (Champions League, etc.) to appease some overpaid primadonna?

Lucky he didn’t go down injured or anything like that which would put him out of action for the run in to the title race.

The Referee Store
Are they under contract to only work for English leagues? Top refs from all over Europe work in the Saudi League. Why should English refs not get paid for their skills?

You're only at the top for a short time. Make your money. The PL doesn't care about Oliver.

Are they under contract to only work for English leagues? Top refs from all over Europe work in the Saudi League. Why should English refs not get paid for their skills?

You're only at the top for a short time. Make your money. The PL doesn't care about Oliver.
So you’re happy sending out our top official on 6,000 mile round trip on a non Champions League game in a league that wouldn’t get a second glance if it weren’t for the cash they’re throwing at it - when the biggest game of the domestic season to date where the officials need to be fresh and on top of their game is coming up in a week from now?

It could have massively backfired in the face of whoever at the FA sanctioned that release of Michael and his team - lucky for them - they got away with it.

So you’re happy sending out our top official on 6,000 mile round trip on a non Champions League game in a league that wouldn’t get a second glance if it weren’t for the cash they’re throwing at it - when the biggest game of the domestic season to date where the officials need to be fresh and on top of their game is coming up in a week from now?

It could have massively backfired in the face of whoever at the FA sanctioned that release of Michael and his team - lucky for them - they got away with it.

I fundamentally have a different view. If the request for Oliver is made far enough ahead of time then its no difference than anyone requesting time off from their main job.

Refs aren't solely committed to the FA or PL.

The whole "what if he got hurt" is absurd considering a ref gets injured like once a season in the entire PL and FL.

I don't have an issue with Oliver being over there especially if other referees from other countries do the same(not sure I would like too see it happen in the PL mind) but to then assign him a game which on paper should be a routine game for virtually any SG1 referee does seem absurd. It's just unnecessary.

Like Mike Riley before him, seems like Howard Webb is obsessed with giving the top refs in this country virtually every round. There's no need for Oliver and co to do 30+ PL games a season, they have got enough on their plate with having 2 cup competitions and UEFA/international matches added on for good measure. Maybe they prefer it that way in fairness, who knows.

I'm guessing Oliver was asked if he wanted to do it and said yes. Whilst referees have a longer career than players, it is still limited and at some point they will have to stop. The money from this will not have been insignificant, so I certainly would blame him for wanting to do it or PGMOL for letting him.

Like Mike Riley before him, seems like Howard Webb is obsessed with giving the top refs in this country virtually every round. There's no need for Oliver and co to do 30+ PL games a season, they have got enough on their plate with having 2 cup competitions and UEFA/international matches added on for good measure. Maybe they prefer it that way in fairness, who knows.
Really don't agree with this. The likes of Simon Hooper couldn't get a look in under Riley, he's now regularly picking up big games under Webb. Similar for Stuart Attwell. Man City vs Arsenal isn't just a big game though, it is the biggest game for years, and was always going to go to one of the FIFA elite referees.

Really don't agree with this. The likes of Simon Hooper couldn't get a look in under Riley, he's now regularly picking up big games under Webb. Similar for Stuart Attwell. Man City vs Arsenal isn't just a big game though, it is the biggest game for years, and was always going to go to one of the FIFA elite referees.

I'm on about the appointment of the Liverpool Forest game for Oliver especially after having a long trip to Saudi Arabia and then doing the biggest match of the season on the Wednesday. Just unnecessary imo.

I'm on about the appointment of the Liverpool Forest game for Oliver especially after having a long trip to Saudi Arabia and then doing the biggest match of the season on the Wednesday. Just unnecessary imo.
He didn't travel there and back by boat, or even in cattle class. He was paid £3,000 (a lot lower than I thought it would be), travelled business / first class and stayed in a luxury hotel. Plus he would have been back home a week before the Man City Arsenal game, that would be one hell of a jet lag.

I really think you are seeing a problem that just doesn't exist.

@talks**** are trying to turn this into a story even though it obviously is not.

It is an absolute privilege to be asked to officiate in another country and something - I am pretty sure - every serious referee would jump at. (Obviously there are some political/moral questions with some countries, including this one).

The money is surely not the reason. The experience surely is and will only make this team stronger.

(The best team from Finland regularly do the Athens derby btw)

@talks**** are trying to turn this into a story even though it obviously is not.

It is an absolute privilege to be asked to officiate in another country and something - I am pretty sure - every serious referee would jump at. (Obviously there are some political/moral questions with some countries, including this one).

The money is surely not the reason. The experience surely is and will only make this team stronger.

(The best team from Finland regularly do the Athens derby btw)
I can't necessarily agree with this. Yes, working a big rivalry in a different country is a great experience. But let's not kid ourselves - 3,000 GBP ($3,730 USD in current exchange rates) plus luxury travel is going to be the primary driver of accepting something like this.

He didn't travel there and back by boat, or even in cattle class. He was paid £3,000 (a lot lower than I thought it would be), travelled business / first class and stayed in a luxury hotel. Plus he would have been back home a week before the Man City Arsenal game, that would be one hell of a jet lag.

I really think you are seeing a problem that just doesn't exist.

Not seeing any problem with it, just giving my opinion I dont see alot of point in allocating Michael Oliver the Liverpool Forest game as it's essentially a game that any SG1 ref should be able to manage.

In the space of 2 weeks he would of been in Lisburn, Southampton, Saudi Arabia, Liverpool and Manchester, it's an unnecessary work overload imo.

I can't necessarily agree with this. Yes, working a big rivalry in a different country is a great experience. But let's not kid ourselves - 3,000 GBP ($3,730 USD in current exchange rates) plus luxury travel is going to be the primary driver of accepting something like this.
Only MO could answer this for us.

Not seeing any problem with it, just giving my opinion I dont see alot of point in allocating Michael Oliver the Liverpool Forest game as it's essentially a game that any SG1 ref should be able to manage.
I do agree with this point specifically, 8th vs 18th is not a match that needs the country's best official on it. There's a 4th vs 5th game and 2 FA cup semis, all of which are higher profile.

I'd suggest that quietly and without making a fuss over it, the allocations are reflecting that he's had a busy week and so needs a slightly lower pressure game this weekend.

I do agree with this point specifically, 8th vs 18th is not a match that needs the country's best official on it. There's a 4th vs 5th game and 2 FA cup semis, all of which are higher profile.
Remember MO is a Newcastle supporter. So he can't do that one or maybe even any match with Spurs and Manchester United at the moment.

Remember MO is a Newcastle supporter. So he can't do that one or maybe even any match with Spurs and Manchester United at the moment.
Fair point. Sounds like a good excuse to give him a weekend off or on 4th/VAR duties then!

I don't think anyone at the FA has anything to do with it. Select Group match officials take their assignments from the PGMOL, not the FA.

As it says on the EFL website:
All refereeing appointments are handled by Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL).

In the space of 2 weeks he would of been in Lisburn, Southampton, Saudi Arabia, Liverpool and Manchester, it's an unnecessary work overload imo.
When has he been to Northern Ireland? As beautiful as it is, it's certainly not NW Lisbon.

I don't think anyone at the FA has anything to do with it. Select Group match officials take their assignments from the PGMOL, not the FA.

As it says on the EFL website:
Correct, the FA have no involvement in referee appointments below above the National League, notable exception being for FA Cup games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back