A&H

Matches Choosen

msportstars

Hi all, I wanted to get more of an understanding if there is some magical way that referee officers choose referees for their leagues and how they got about it? As for me it feels like I just get stuck with Div 3 games all the time? Is this based on my ability? Even if going for promotion I never seem to be given any higher?

I’m very sorry if this topic has been covered before (if so point me in that direction)

The Referee Store
Hi all, I wanted to get more of an understanding if there is some magical way that referee officers choose referees for their leagues and how they got about it? As for me it feels like I just get stuck with Div 3 games all the time? Is this based on my ability? Even if going for promotion I never seem to be given any higher?

I’m very sorry if this topic has been covered before (if so point me in that direction)
Some leagues have referees of different levels to appoint to different levels of matches (e. g. Div. 1 may need Level 5 referees)
In other cases, the higher appointments are often used for promotion candidates and more experienced officials.

Can depend on a number of factors. For bigger games they are likely to go in order of seniority, so L5, then L6, then L7, purely on the basis that they know those at the higher levels have successfully passed through some kind of promotion. That's especially more the case when it is a relatively new referee (whether in terms of qualification or to the league) that they have little feedback on, whereas it may be they have L7s that have been with them for years that they know they can trust with all levels of games.

Then it comes down to club marks, as whilst they aren't ideal they are the only indicator appointments officers have as to how good each referee is. And by that I don't mean discount a referee who has had a couple of low marks and / or reports, rather if one referee has averaged 95 over 10 games and another 65 that is a reasonable indicator that the former is a safer option for the bigger games.

The best thing to do is politely ask the appointments officer if they have any feedback on your refereeing.

Could it be something as simple as geography? Certainly in my area, at grass roots level, referees are often appointed to fairly local matches. If there are no big matches or teams in your area you might be missing out. If you think this might be a factor you could contact your appointments secretary and indicate your willingness to travel.

Could it be something as simple as geography? Certainly in my area, at grass roots level, referees are often appointed to fairly local matches. If there are no big matches or teams in your area you might be missing out. If you think this might be a factor you could contact your appointments secretary and indicate your willingness to travel.
All good points. This is especially a good point, as they may want to keep fees down for clubs regarding mileage.

Geography, seniority, who they know and previous match reports from teams and word of mouth. Mostly they’re just trying to fill games and worrying about anything else second! At least at county level 😅

Back