A&H

Match Balls

Tom Knight

"You don't know they rules ref!"..They are laws!"
Level 8 Referee
Hey All,
Just a quickie, do you guys take your own match balls or have them supplied. Personally I would like to bring one so I know the quality of it. Any views?

The Referee Store
Don't bring your own. It'll become damaged / lost, players / management will not respect the decision, and really it's a big faff. Plus you have to have to buy it, and then carry it around. In fact, if you turned up with your own match ball, you will get weird looks, and will not set the most professional first impression IMO.

Stick to the home club supplying the match ball. Take a ball pressure gauge and ball pump, and that will suffice.

A proper match ball costs from £50 upwards so it's certainly not something I would be spending my money on.

Don't bring your own. It'll become damaged / lost, players / management will not respect the decision, and really it's a big faff. Plus you have to have to buy it, and then carry it around. In fact, if you turned up with your own match ball, you will get weird looks, and will not set the most professional first impression IMO.

Stick to the home club supplying the match ball. Take a ball pressure gauge and ball pump, and that will suffice.

Most league rules require the home team to supply two suitable footballs.

If the match ball is too flat I always get the home team to pump it up. That way if for some reason anything happens whilst the needle is being inserted into the ball, they cannot claim its down to you.

I would not entertain providing match ball. Once players know it is yours some smarta*** will try their best to lose it by booting it out of the ground on purpose, or losing team will take delight in kicking it into the stinging nettles at the end of the game.
Team that gets beaten will also blame the ball you provided for being the reason they lost.

Back