A&H

Match 3 - Spain : Portugal

He is about as super human as I have or will ever see. Machine.

It defies the laws of physics how you can put your foot through that ball & score.

Danny Murphy said I doubt he’s going over the wall with that.

Afterwords Murphy is saying it went over through round it god knows but it went in, classic.

The Referee Store
It defies the laws of physics how you can put your foot through that ball & score.

Danny Murphy said I doubt he’s going over the wall with that.

Afterwords Murphy is saying it went over through round it god knows but it went in, classic.

The thing is, he will be in an ice bath now, drinking fluids and prob be the first person on the training pitch tomorrow morning
Anybody else would be on fifth Stella by now and expect tomorrow off
Total machine and deserves every success he gets

The thing is, he will be in an ice bath now, drinking fluids and prob be the first person on the training pitch tomorrow morning
Anybody else would be on fifth Stella by now and expect tomorrow off
Total machine and deserves every success he gets

Indeed and he’s so humble with it Aswell ;)

Remember seeing Ron at Old Trafford v SUFC against our CH old school thug CH Chris Morgan... Ronnie didn't like the attention tbf!! got booked for a hissy fit!!

Ironically Morgan got one of the fastest red cards ever in his last ever charity game! Enjoy!! :chicken:

I’m not!

Because it’s exaggeration.....i.e. simulation

And he’s up to his normal cheating antics.....
And you don't think the contact was worthy of calling a foul so it must be simulation....well enough contact for me to call it despite the exaggerated theatrical fall to the ground.

Was interesting to watch.

Ronaldo was phenomenal as usual.

I thought the AR flagging technique was odd. There were two incidents where one flagged up but didn't signal a direction and the teams were confused as to who's throw in it was. Didn't look like a communication issue either, seemed like the AR knew who touched it last but didn't really assert himself. But I'm nitpicking.

Hell of a game anyway, I had it down as a boring 0-0, but that shows what I know.

Penalty, correct and easy for me.
Foul on Pepe, it's careless, Costa goes jumping for a ball the defender wins, and then makes contact with his leading elbow into his opponents neck. I dont know how when written down what happened folk can say its not a careless foul. Really surprised VAR wasnt used. Seems like an overly cautious approach to not intervening.
Nacho, what a goal
Ronaldo what a free kick. What a player.

Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
One moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?

Epitaph.... for David De Gae......

A few things for me ...

- VAR is NOT designed to re-referee the game, rather is designed to spot clear and obvious errors. Personally I would give a foul for the challenge on Pepe, but equally if I was sitting upstairs I'm not sure I'd be able to effectively overrule the referee and say it was a clear and obvious error. That type of challenge isn't what VAR is designed to deal with as far as I am aware.

- Officials at senior levels are told / instructed to manage dissent and only use cards where necessary. Whilst some will disagree with that, you can't blame the referees as if you are given an instruction by your bosses you either comply with it or find another job. I don't mean ignore it, and Rocchi chose to read the riot act instead.

- This was an excellent game and the referee contributed fully to it. It didn't need a fussy referee killing it and waving cards because he was slavishly following the laws, and once you get to level 3 and above in England and equivalent levels overseas, you are expected to manage the event rather than just referee the game.

Some on here won't like what I have said, and I can think of one in particular, but I can assure you it is factually correct. Non compliance equals no further promotion and / or demotion.

- VAR is NOT designed to re-referee the game, rather is designed to spot clear and obvious errors. Personally I would give a foul for the challenge on Pepe, but equally if I was sitting upstairs I'm not sure I'd be able to effectively overrule the referee and say it was a clear and obvious error. That type of challenge isn't what VAR is designed to deal with as far as I am aware.

I agree. I'm fine with the VAR staying with the referees decision in this case. I just hope the same standard is applied throughout the tournament.

I also find it funny that after a year of a vast majority of posters on this forum ripping VAR for slowing down the game too much and being over-involved, the first big complaint at the World Cup is about the VAR not getting involved.

A few things for me ...

- Officials at senior levels are told / instructed to manage dissent and only use cards where necessary. Whilst some will disagree with that, you can't blame the referees as if you are given an instruction by your bosses you either comply with it or find another job. I don't mean ignore it, and Rocchi chose to read the riot act instead.

- This was an excellent game and the referee contributed fully to it. It didn't need a fussy referee killing it and waving cards because he was slavishly following the laws, and once you get to level 3 and above in England and equivalent levels overseas, you are expected to manage the event rather than just referee the game.

Some on here won't like what I have said, and I can think of one in particular, but I can assure you it is factually correct. Non compliance equals no further promotion and / or demotion.

And that’s why the whole RESPECT campaign is a joke, and referees will continue to get abused and assaulted every week....until either the authorities or the so called ‘elite’ colleagues grow a pair of testicles and face up to their responsibilities.

If all the PGMOL officials stuck together and refused to pander to the clubs (don’t be under any illusions about who drives that agenda) then the FA wouldn’t be able to bully and intimidate aspiring referees into leaving their integrity and principles behind in the name in of career progression.

And that’s why the whole RESPECT campaign is a joke, and referees will continue to get abused and assaulted every week....until either the authorities or the so called ‘elite’ colleagues grow a pair of testicles and face up to their responsibilities.

If all the PGMOL officials stuck together and refused to pander to the clubs (don’t be under any illusions about who drives that agenda) then the FA wouldn’t be able to bully and intimidate aspiring referees into leaving their integrity and principles behind in the name in of career progression.

Your opinion, I think you are wrong but I will still respect your opinion. If your boss tells you to do something that your principles don't agree with, and he won't listen to reason, what do you do? Quit your job or change your principles, the vast majority will do the former.

Damning angle for me
Jumps at the player, leading with his forearm. Yellow card.
Damning...but not certain. I'm not completely certain that there was contact to the face. There was a raised forearm, yes, but that could also have got him on the shoulder/chest/collarbone - and I'm not seeing a push. So it either got him in the face, in which case it's a foul, or it didn't. And I can't tell from this video.

I think 'clear and obvious' really means 'inarguable'. I think that while this angle means a foul is likely, it's not inarguable.

Remember seeing Ron at Old Trafford v SUFC against our CH old school thug CH Chris Morgan... Ronnie didn't like the attention tbf!! got booked for a hissy fit!!

Ironically Morgan got one of the fastest red cards ever in his last ever charity game! Enjoy!! :chicken:

I wonder if Ian Hume finds that video funny if memory serves me right or it could be Leon Pryce :D

My instinct was a dive, but on replay I think there's enough contact that I understand why VAR wouldn't get involved. Although having said that, if the ref had gone with yellow for simultion, I don't think VAR would have overridden that either?
Very much the same as "Umpire's Call" in Cricket. Glad to see the Referee still has some authority. VAR seems to be working fine so far and adding value to this World Cup.

Back