A&H

Mark Halsey Newspaper Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Neal

Just wondering what everyone thoughts are about Mark Halseys comments on the Premier League referees in the papers this morning?
I for one don't agree with singling people out however I do think he makes some valid points.

The Referee Store
I think it is highly unprofessional and from extracts I have heard of his book and comments he has made since I WILL NOT be buying his book and he has gone WAY DOWN in my estimations.
The PGMOL stood by him through his troubled time with his illness and this is how he thanks them....

A very good point @refdave83 all referees past and present should support each other.

How can we expect players to respect referees when other refs can't do the same?!

Like you say Sam, he has raised some valid points in relation to the standard of officiating in the premier league, it hasn't been good enough recently.

However, he's gone about it in completely the wrong way. Raising valid and considered points is one thing, but openly criticising his former colleagues, particularly those he singled out, is totally wrong and I've lost a little bit of respect for him because of that. When I met him, he did mention that he'd had numerous disagreements with the PGMOL over his style, a little bit of revenge?

He has lost his mind. Rule 1 - do not openly criticise referee colleagues.

Whoring himself for book sales and attention. Bad form.

Just googled it, and Graham Poll said that when all the pgmol refs were training, they were all given training gear and told what to turn up in, but Halsey turned up in Bolton training kit, with a squad number on it, even though all the refs had been told what to wear and given it. Shows you his type of character.

"...others need more experience, better nurturing and coaching."

I would not disagree with that. I think it's a fair point. You aren't born the best, you need the right environment to thrive. Remember Stuart Attwell? Thrown in t the deep end and left to sink.

He does not say who falls into which category, but the journalist names other referees. A simple elimination I know, but those named could fall into the nurturing and coaching category.

Comments about the PGMO. Well for years they have consistently not backed up officials on certain matters, and have hung people out to dry it seems.

The conflict of interest argument. Damn straight.

Right then, I'm on my own so where's my Bolton Kit!

I have also seen him passing verdict on referees in a regular column in the Sun of all places. Now, I don't know if he actually writes it or not, how heavily it is edited and/or spiced up, but I dare say he has a reasonable earn out of it! I have some sympathy with referees who have served at the highest level feeling like they are now free from the shackles placed on them when officiating and speaking out more freely, it must be very tempting and given some extraordinary lacks of support in some cases (not his, with ref to his illness by the way) I imagine they feel little loyalty to the job, the governing body or the profession.

However; it is bordering on criminal, the complete lack of loyalty it shows to former colleagues, serving officials at all levels and the 'brotherhood' if you like, of refereeing. We've all been there; you're watching a local game with mates, or supporting your young nephew at u11s or something; if I can politely decline to comment on the performance of an inexperienced parks refs when they make questionable calls, replying to mates and family with only 'maybe he had a different angle/view' when I actually think they've dropped a b*****k, I fully expect someone in the public eye such as him, to bloody well do the same. Especially, when up until very recently, he would of expected the same of them and considered them friends and/or colleagues. Very, very poor in my view.

I've read this book along with Graham Poll's autobiography, and there seems to be a common theme - the FA and PGMOL don't actually back referees. Both books are highly critical of the PGMOL, FA and other referees.

When Halsey returned to refereeing after his cancer, the PGMOL tried to force him out by not supporting him and gave him more and more 4ths rather than middles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back