A&H

Man utd vs Liverpool

SM

The avuncular one
4 minutes in and saurez is mugged in the penalty by fellani and jones and stays on his feet more than once until the final challenge. How on earth is that not a penalty?

Weak refereeing right there. Saurez is often criticised for going down easy, when he does the right thing and expects the ref to do the right thing he gets nothing?

Yes I support Liverpool, but I am sure that is not relevant!

The Referee Store
Wouldn't have been a problem if the free kick had been given for Suarez pushing Jones over in the first place. Can tell this will be a feisty one!

Great game so far. What a great footie day, man utd vs Liverpool and spurs vs arsenal? Superb

Rafael late scissor tackle on Gerard - caution only? Grrrrrr

Come on ref he has work next week! Is what I might hear on a grass roots pitch locally.

Oooooo now a handball in the area by Raphael! Come on clatts send him off! Lol okay that might be harsh.

What are the chances that if he wasn't already on a yellow Rafael woulda had one for the handball? I'd say pretty much almost certain.

PS Are you sure the player didn't say, "Is it because you're a b*stard"? ;)

Reactions: SM
Not an easy game for Clattenburg - for me he only made only two mistakes, the last penalty shouldn't have been given and the Sturridge penalty appeal should have been given. For me, all penalties/appeals he got right, and despite what the ignorant Sky Sports presenters said at half time, Rafael should not have been sent off for the handball.

I would nearly agree, but would throw in the Suarez penalty appeal in the 5th minute. Blatant foul, take your pick which time felani kicked at the back of Suarez!

The sending off was harsh, Sturridge dived. I don't buy into this expecting he challenge nonsense. But then as you say he had a perfectly legit penalty waved away. Swings and roundabouts.

Clatts will of course be remembered as the ref who gave loads of penalties at old Trafford.

Despite what the ignorant Sky Sports presenters said at half time, Rafael should not have been sent off for the handball.

No? What about a yellow then? Deliberate handball. In the box. To prevent Suarez from being ten yards out with just the keeper to beat?

I know this shouldn't be the case but I think if the handball had come before his tackle on Gerrard then he would have been sent off. That's the way the mind works imo!

I know this shouldn't be the case but I think if the handball had come before his tackle on Gerrard then he would have been sent off. That's the way the mind works imo!
You're right that if someone's already on a yellow then as a referee you have to be absolutely certain if giving him another so any benefit of the doubt goes to the perpetrator. It does sound improper but it's reality.

No? What about a yellow then? Deliberate handball. In the box. To prevent Suarez from being ten yards out with just the keeper to beat?
First thing that struck me was that the ball, having hit Raph's hand, was there for the taking, but Suarez completely ingnored it and walked to the ref! 'Play to the whistle'?

Was obviously a handball, but Suarez/Liverpool could so easily have scored from 'open play' if Suarez hadn't stopped....why do players do that? Give the ref a chance to play advantage at least.

Would have loved it if Clatts had played advantage after Suarez stopped hehehehehehe.

I think that Clattenburg did well despite a tough gig, but I did think that he was quite inconsistent in his giving of cautions. Rafael should have gone twice; a clear caution for the tackle on Gerrard and then he was lucky to get the benefit of the doubt after the handball (1st pen.), but he was even more fortunate after the reckless challenge on Suarez. Considering this the 2nd caution to Vidic was really harsh and I don't think that it was a penalty at all, even though some (including ex-referee Graham Poll) said that he impeded Sturridge regardless of the lack of contact. And Sturridge was robbed of another just afterwards as well.

Back