A&H

Looking to Next Season

freddier

Level 7 Referee
I'm really happy with how this season went as my first: about 30 games and finished it off with a cup final AR appointment last weekend. I've mainly done U13 games this season (I'm a youth ref so limited up to U14) but I'm not sure what would be best for next season.

I turn 16 pretty early into next season so my options widen up (becoming L7). I'll start the season with U13 and U14 games but then where do I go? I'm considering AR in a local women's league, or even a midweek U18 league. There's also the simple option of carrying on with youth games maybe U15s and up.

What do you think would be best for me to progress??

The Referee Store
From my experience:

I got on a Step 7 Open Age League as an AR, doing about 3 games for experience in a very different environment, with L5s, and former L4s and L3s.

I then moved into a few U18 middles, integrated with U14-16, and was unexpectedly given a League Cup (Open Age) middle after around a month or so. Was a very tough game, multiple cautions and dismissals, but I had a matchday coach (I've been running for double promotion this season), but it gave me confidence to move into a Sunday League.

From there I spent my season doing U18/21 and some lower County and Sunday League Open Age middles. I also kept up with 12 games on the line across County and League Cups, as well as the Step 7 league.

It's given me a huge confidence boost. Very tough at times - yes, but with the support of the county, fellow referees etc, it can be a great experience.

I'm now nearly 17, and only have to do one more in person session for my L5, then my sights are set on L4, as even if I fall short, I'll learn so much from trying. Going to be operating as an AR on a Step 5-6 league next season too hopefully.

It's less advice, but that's the framework I've used, and I would reccomend it as a general pathway to build confidence.

Thanks - I always find it helpful to see what other people have done.

I think the two biggest hurdles for me are going to be reffing people older than me and then stepping up to do open age games.

Back