A&H

Liverpool v Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incident 1 - caution
View attachment 6927

Incident 2 - no caution

View attachment 6928

Not sure why one is being cautioned and the other isn't? And if I'm not sure, then to non-refs it will certainly look like it should have been a second caution.
Because for the first one the opponent has got away from him, with the ball, and he has pulled him back. Obviously a still doesn't show this, but it was also much more of a hold than the second one, and was textbook SPA.

Whereas on the second one he doesn't have the ball, and has pretty much zero chance of getting it even without the holding. The two simply aren't comparable.

The Referee Store
I'd draw a new box entitled making it up as you go along and put it in there. Cautionable offence for fouls are specifically defined, you can't just make something up because a foul doesn't fit into those categories.

Ironically I would support a referee cautioning for SPA as I accept that is supportable even if I don't agree with it. But if they said it wasn't SPA but they cautioned because it showed a lack of respect I would be finding a way of the mark reflecting that nonsense. For step 3 to 6 it would be easy and I wouldn't even need a new box, decisions need to be credible and I wouldn't think your reason for the caution was.
Fully agree with this. With my observer hat on, you can’t use lack of respect to engineer cards for offences that don’t meet trained/written YC offence definitions.

I wonder if this could be a local (North American) thing @RyantheRef ?

Poor analysis, why have 'Ref Watch' if you're not even going to go into what the laws say (and I'd expect Dermot to be bringing that into it).
Answer: because blind criticism generates clicks?

Much like with ex-players/pundits; I'd take anything the likes of Dermot Gallagher & Peter Walton say with a pinch of salt

Fully agree with this. With my observer hat on, you can’t use lack of respect to engineer cards for offences that don’t meet trained/written YC offence definitions.

I wonder if this could be a local (North American) thing @RyantheRef ?
Just trying this hypothetical - it is more extreme than other examples given so far.

The ball is in play and a player use his arms to tackle an opponent around the legs bringing him to the ground - it is not reckless nor violent and it does not stop a promising attack.

Surely, though, this is USB.

It is undoubtedly a foul, but it doesn't fit the neat categories that are mandatory cautions.

Is anyone leaving this at a talking to?

SPA covers fouls committed with particular result regardless of intention or severity. Recklessness covers fouls committed in disregard of the consequences for the opponent. I do not think that these definitions cover the field for cautionable unsporting fouls. They are merely the mandatory cautions. They are the circumstances where we do not have discretion.

A rugby tackle? In the context of a football match where that action is unexpected, that 100% qualifies as reckless.
I just said that it didn't - you need to accept that for the purpose of the exercise. It is very low level in terms of force

C1, Foul tackle (in England only)
Yes, but that's the debate. It's not SPA and it's not reckless. We then need to use our discretion under the principle of USB to caution.

@RyantheRef I think has been misunderstood to suggest that actions like Konate's are cautionable. I don't take him that way. I think what he means is that the caution would not be wrong in law, which as we all know would mean that no discretion existed. Clearly a discretion existed, but it must be used appropriately

I just said that it didn't - you need to accept that for the purpose of the exercise. It is very low level in terms of force
Then you need to come up with a different example. "What do I caution a reckless tackle for if I decide I don't want to count it as a reckless tackle?" is not a particularly helpful question, because the only possible answer is "just count it as a reckless tackle".

The fact the best example you could come up with for a "not reckless caution" is actually just a reckless caution is instructive in itself. The laws cover the example you came up with - and my strong suspicion is that any other example you come up with will either qualify as a reckless caution, or won't actually require a caution at all.

Which is exactly the point - this foul doesn't qualify as reckless, so it doesn't require a caution. And any attempt to justify a caution for it is either based on a (justifiable but IMO incorrect) assessment of it as SPA, or is agenda-driven, which is when you start having to fall back on the catch-all offence of LRG.

Then you need to come up with a different example. "What do I caution a reckless tackle for if I decide I don't want to count it as a reckless tackle?" is not a particularly helpful question, because the only possible answer is "just count it as a reckless tackle".

The fact the best example you could come up with for a "not reckless caution" is actually just a reckless caution is instructive in itself. The laws cover the example you came up with - and my strong suspicion is that any other example you come up with will either qualify as a reckless caution, or won't actually require a caution at all.

Which is exactly the point - this foul doesn't qualify as reckless, so it doesn't require a caution. And any attempt to justify a caution for it is either based on a (justifiable but IMO incorrect) assessment of it as SPA, or is agenda-driven, which is when you start having to fall back on the catch-all offence of LRG.
To find that each and every 'rugby tackle', regardless of severity or force, is with disregard to the consequences of an opponent can only be so if you accept that 'consequences' is an extremely broad term taking into account more than safety (and including, for instance, losing position or the ability to play the ball). I'm fine with that (there has to be a reason that the word safety was substituted for consequences), but it rather means that anything unlawful done with disregard to any advantage to the opponent, or done intentionally, is cautionable. Recklessness then sounds a bit like general USB.

To find that each and every 'rugby tackle', regardless of severity or force, is with disregard to the consequences of an opponent can only be so if you accept that 'consequences' is an extremely broad term taking into account more than safety (and including, for instance, losing position or the ability to play the ball). I'm fine with that (there has to be a reason that the word safety was substituted for consequences), but it rather means that anything unlawful done with disregard to any advantage to the opponent, or done intentionally, is cautionable. Recklessness then sounds a bit like general USB.
I don't agree with that premise at all. Launching yourself head-first at someone's legs when they're expecting a game of football isn't even the LOTG definition of reckless; it's the dictionary definition!

Again, you're trying to posit the existence of a rugby tackle that is so gentle that it doesn't qualify for reckless (in the context of a football match remember, so that's an incredibly low bar!), but also has such a clear effect on an opponent that "football expects" a card regardless. I don't believe such a tackle exists in reality. If it needs a card, reckless fits the bill - if it's not reckless, it doesn't need a card.

Who said anything about that?
Arms and head are pretty close. I may not be a rugby expert, but I think it's quite difficult to use your arms to wrap around an opponents legs without getting your head somewhere in the vicinity as well?

Arms and head are pretty close. I may not be a rugby expert, but I think it's quite difficult to use your arms to wrap around an opponents legs without getting your head somewhere in the vicinity as well?
You also snuck the word 'launching' in there. You're overblowing the scenario to suit your case. It suggests you don't wish to take the exercise on in a genuine way because you are concerned it will undermine your position.

USB is an 'I'll know it when I see it' type of offence. We've discussed blatant holding on here many times. It's a concept to which Ryantheref is alluding. It's not unfamiliar and the pile on against what he has said has been unnecessary and, frankly, disingenuous.

Konate - not a yellow
Holding which is not SPA or reckless - possibly yellow depending on the circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back