A&H

LIV ARS

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Surely it’s biggering and hand to ball in the box. To me Odegard has deliberately handled to stop the opponent getting the ball goal side of him. I know he was off balance but I think football expects a penalty here - and no question in international/European comps…

The Referee Store
It's a totally natural movement for me, due to the slip. It's a natural reaction to balance himself.

What's he supposed to do?

I think there has to be a conscious action to make it handball and that was lacking here.

It's a totally natural movement for me, due to the slip. It's a natural reaction to balance himself.

What's he supposed to do?

I think there has to be a conscious action to make it handball and that was lacking here.
Agree, he lost his balance and that was the natural place his arm would go.

75th minute Graverbach dropped the ball in the corner quadrant.

The assistant reached down and moved it outside the corner quadrant as Trent was coming over to take it. Very, very odd.

On the one hand I can see why some agree with the decision, as he does slip a little and there's an argument that the arm ends up in a natural position as a result. However, I can also see that there's another interpretation that he's made his body unnaturally bigger and even seems to move his arm towards the ball before thinking twice about it.

Whatever side of the fence you're on, it's pretty clear that "the game" expects a penalty here so it highlights what a nonsense the current handball law is. I'd certainly be awarding the pen in a match if I saw it at my lowly level and wouldn't expect too many complaints, though would be certain to get some now!

75th minute Graverbach dropped the ball in the corner quadrant.

The assistant reached down and moved it outside the corner quadrant as Trent was coming over to take it. Very, very odd.
Would there be a reason to do this that would make application of law easier?

I'm scratching my head to work out how it might assist the officials and I can't think of one.

Last edited:
Would there be a reason to do this that would make application of law easier?

I scratching my head to work out how it might assist the officials and I can't think of one.
This was my thought, stops the 'trick' but it's 100% not an officials place to get involved if that's the case

Obviously we don't all agree on this, but I would say that probably vindicates VAR's decision to stay out of it. Some think it was a penalty, some don't, so can it really have been a clear and obvious error? Especially as I suspect the opinions of the SG1 referees are probably split just like they are on here. Is there any other sport where something like this happens and a group of referees can't agree what the outcome should be? This was always my concern when VAR was being talked about, decisions in football are too subjective for it to work for anything but black and white situations and absolute howlers of decisions where the entire world knows it was wrong.

Graverbach just dropped it, didn't touch it with his foot.
I am certain he did it as a matter of routine and good practice.

And it was a handball for me. I have seen many more "natural position for the movement" given especially going for headers. And when not given VAR getting involved to give it. But I am also pleased to see VAR didn't get involved here.

Obviously we don't all agree on this, but I would say that probably vindicates VAR's decision to stay out of it. Some think it was a penalty, some don't, so can it really have been a clear and obvious error? Especially as I suspect the opinions of the SG1 referees are probably split just like they are on here. Is there any other sport where something like this happens and a group of referees can't agree what the outcome should be? This was always my concern when VAR was being talked about, decisions in football are too subjective for it to work for anything but black and white situations and absolute howlers of decisions where the entire world knows it was wrong.
I agree 'not clear & obvious' but we get a VAR intervention in Spurs v Everton, VAR disallows the goal, VAR occasionally forgets Howard Webb's high bar for VAR intervention. In fairness to both Dyche & Nuno their post-match interviews on both referees was very respectful.

Howard Webb, Nov 2023, “We've seen negative comments about over-interference by VAR so by reserving it for clear situations, then we feel it serves the game best. Recognising those clear situations is important - it's where we put a lot of our time and effort into the training and this type of situation reaches that threshold, and that's the advice we've given to our VARs going forward."

Never seen or heard of an AR doing it before...

What aspect of this is good practice?
One player setting the ball another taking the corner (or pretending to). Avoid the headache. 'Headache' would not have applied here, none the less do what you would normally do.

One player setting the ball another taking the corner (or pretending to). Avoid the headache. 'Headache' would not have applied here, none the less do what you would normally do.
Not even close to your remit to touch the ball.

Not even close to your remit to touch the ball.
This is old school teaching. There are quite a few of those types of teaching still around which should change IMO. Modern game has changed, do what you have to do to make it work for you (within the framework of the LOTG of course). But if this doesn't work for you then don't do it. I never did this but having seen it here, I would definitely use it as a matter of 'good practice'.

This is old school teaching. There are quite a few of those types of teaching still around which should change IMO. Modern game has changed, do what you have to do to make it work for you (within the framework of the LOTG of course). But if this doesn't work for you then don't do it. I never did this but having seen it here, I would definitely use it as a matter of 'good practice'.
Fair enough. Couldn't disagree more tbh

I’d agree with this. I personally thought it was handling, but if not given onfield I don’t see where it’s so blatantly obvious that there should be an OFR to overturn.

This play makes me think we are too far down the road of “how many considerations does this check” compared to looking at the big picture. I feel the same way about how we are supposed to think about how a laundry list of considerations for SFP vs USB on a challenge. I realize the powers that be are trying to get to a more objective measure for sending off vs caution, but I think we are well past the point where referees are looking to justify not giving a deserved big call by using considerations and “getting away with it” by saying a consideration wasn’t met.

The officials are included as part of the pitch. So the lino touching the ball with his hands makes no difference if the player was trying to do a trick corner?

• Wow
Reactions: es1
Back