A&H

Line or middle?

Simple question which is easier.?

• Assistant Referee

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Middle Referee

Votes: 30 62.5%

• Total voters
It may be an independent organisation but the last season before it existed......guess where all the division one teams disappeared to.........
Correct. But all the div 2 sides were promoted to division one of the football league.
Fact is, in terms of records, no one forgets the all time records. Problem is the game is so different now. Players, in the main, are more talented and the skill gap between players has decreased, equipment is different, laws have changed, intensity of play, athleticism etc. Many of the all time records bear little relevance to todays game. I dont see what the issue is when talking about PL records. Take the Vardy consecutive game scored in record as an example. Goals scored back during the pre ww2 era wouldnt be goals now so its hardly fair to compare Vardys feat against the "all time record holder" as a direct comparison. PL are entitled to their own record book.

The Referee Store
Correct. But all the div 2 sides were promoted to division one of the football league.
Fact is, in terms of records, no one forgets the all time records. Problem is the game is so different now. Players, in the main, are more talented and the skill gap between players has decreased, equipment is different, laws have changed, intensity of play, athleticism etc. Many of the all time records bear little relevance to todays game. I dont see what the issue is when talking about PL records. Take the Vardy consecutive game scored in record as an example. Goals scored back during the pre ww2 era wouldnt be goals now so its hardly fair to compare Vardys feat against the "all time record holder" as a direct comparison. PL are entitled to their own record book.
100% agree that the PL need their own record book, my point was that they don't state that when the spout these newer record stats out!!! Its as though they wiped the slate clean in 1992.... On your next point, some older times footballers were far more skilful than what we see today, sadly, referees didn't have the inclination to stop what was inflicted on them...secondly, the skill of heading has all but disappeared, they've all got 50p heads these days, they're scared to pull the sinews in their neck to actually head it properly. thirdly, money, bang average players stealing a living at average clubs and sucking the financial life out of the game at all levels .... (Not a direct dig at SWFC but I'm sure you get my general point)

100% agree that the PL need their own record book, my point was that they don't state that when the spout these newer record stats out!!! Its as though they wiped the slate clean in 1992.... On your next point, some older times footballers were far more skilful than what we see today, sadly, referees didn't have the inclination to stop what was inflicted on them...secondly, the skill of heading has all but disappeared, they've all got 50p heads these days, they're scared to pull the sinews in their neck to actually head it properly. thirdly, money, bang average players stealing a living at average clubs and sucking the financial life out of the game at all levels .... (Not a direct dig at SWFC but I'm sure you get my general point)
Thats strictly not true. First article I read on Vardy went on to mention the 2 all time records. 1 a blade 12 goals. 1 a blackpool player but he didnt play game after game due to injury but scored in 15 games consecutively that he appeared in.
Point two only demonstrates my point about the game changing.
Point 3 is very true at all clubs there are players "stealing a living" we just seem to have a few more than others.

Media are always reporting that a referee or assistant has been "dropped", and they are usually totally wrong. PGMOL are contracted to cover two Championship of Football League games every week with SG1 officials, and that is all that happened here. Had it been the case that Simon Beck had been dropped for his mistake, then why would Kevin Friend and Matthew Wilkes (his colleagues on the West Ham vs Liverpool game) also have been dropped with him?

Just lazy, lazy journalism.

Media are always reporting that a referee or assistant has been "dropped", and they are usually totally wrong. PGMOL are contracted to cover two Championship of Football League games every week with SG1 officials, and that is all that happened here. Had it been the case that Simon Beck had been dropped for his mistake, then why would Kevin Friend and Matthew Wilkes (his colleagues on the West Ham vs Liverpool game) also have been dropped with him?

Just lazy, lazy journalism.

Cos all 3 of them were deemed to have been poor??!?

Na, agree, press pick up so so does not have a game and make it a story

Back