A&H

Leicester v Arsenal

Ryanj91

Anyone else surprised by the lack of red for DOGSO by Evans?

Ball over the top, Aubameyang gets other side, Evans pulls him down. Aubameyang through on goal. Ball is about 2/3 strides from him once play has stopped, so was always going onto have an uncontested shot.

Was expecting red first time.

Also, feel Evans got away with the kick on Ramsdale as well.

The Referee Store
Laporte has just been sent off for almosf identical challenge. But with the Laporte one, there did seem to be cover.... Odd.

For me, the difference is with the Laporte one, the attacker is going to easily gain control of a ball that's skidding along the ground by the time he's dragged down. For Aubameyang, it's still bouncing very high, so control of the ball is non-obvious, therefore doesn't quite qualify for DOGSO.

Yes, you can argue the foul is the reason he doesn't get a fair chance to try and control the ball, but as weird as it sounds, his failure to stop the bouncing means it can't be red.

For me, the difference is with the Laporte one, the attacker is going to easily gain control of a ball that's skidding along the ground by the time he's dragged down. For Aubameyang, it's still bouncing very high, so control of the ball is non-obvious, therefore doesn't quite qualify for DOGSO.

Yes, you can argue the foul is the reason he doesn't get a fair chance to try and control the ball, but as weird as it sounds, his failure to stop the bouncing means it can't be red.
I'd have to disagree.

Ball is about waist level after the bounce. It stops a few meters from Aubameyang, so the weight of the pass was perfect. A few strides and Aubameyang is through on goal with literally no one near him.

He could not control it as he was being wrestled to the floor.

Its more of a red than the Laporte one.

I’m gonna say this now, please don’t turn this into a “Refs hate Man City” thread
It would be more, "Refs hate Arsenal" if anything haha.

Both are reds in my opinion, but there was defo cover coming for Laporte - so that is something that will divide opinions.

But refs clearly do hate City! :hmmm: I’m kidding, of course.

Haven’t yet seen a replay of the Laporte red, but it felt wrong in the ground. I was sat adjacent to it and it looked as though there was cover that could’ve got back. I also think it was too far out to constitute a true OGSO, even with the pace of Zaha.

But refs clearly do hate City! :hmmm: I’m kidding, of course.

Haven’t yet seen a replay of the Laporte red, but it felt wrong in the ground. I was sat adjacent to it and it looked as though there was cover that could’ve got back. I also think it was too far out to constitute a true OGSO, even with the pace of Zaha.

I'm I'm east level 3 and called red straight away tbh

I'm I'm east level 3 and called red straight away tbh
I’m Colin Bell level 3, so opposite you. Seen a replay now and it’s actually more central than I thought it was. Not 100% convinced, but can see why he gave it (and certainly not a C&O error for VAR to step in)

Reactions: es1
Watching the replay at live speed and not knowing what the result would be on the highlight, I thought red for the Laporte play was at least a defensible call and definitely not a C&O error. I think a Premier League forward coming onto the ball straight onto goal like that should be a DOGSO sendoff. Of course, I'm also one who thinks we as referees need to call more DOGSOs and not look for so many excuses to not call it (and I am looking at myself when making that comment as well), so take my comments with the appropriate spoonful of salt.

Last edited:
This is a red in my games everytime.

The only thing I can think of to change it to a yellow, is a technical one. Although the considerations say "general direction of play" the actually offence definition says "to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal". Aubameyang was facing his own goal, by the time he turned, the foul was over. As I said, it's a technical one I can come up with if you are looking for an excuse to make it yellow.

Both are reds in my opinion, but there was defo cover coming for Laporte

Haven’t yet seen a replay of the Laporte red, but it felt wrong in the ground. I was sat adjacent to it and it looked as though there was cover that could’ve got back.
Just watched a replay. There's no cover as far as I'm concerned. Zaha is turning towards the middle and for me, neither of the two closest defenders is going to get there.

IMG_20211031_084832.png

Just watched a replay. There's no cover as far as I'm concerned. Zaha is turning towards the middle and for me, neither of the two closest defenders is going to get there.

View attachment 5276

only thing to add is, I want to see the referee in that still

its the right call, we have the safety net of var, and, he is a very reliable referee but to sugarcoat this call, i am looking for a referee in s credible position
Granted he cant do box to box but its not too much to except a referee classed as fit enough to referee Man City to be in this picture

View attachment 5276
In 'real time' it did look like Cancelo(?) would have got there. Zaha isnt running straight towards goal at that point, more at an angle. Contact has been made but he hasn't been hauled to the floor yet? Go on 1/2 seconds from that still and the city player is already sprinting/near.

Still happy with a red though

No complaints about the DOGSO, though you might wonder if Mr Mason had been watching the earlier game where DOGSO wasn't given. It really is daft that VAR just reinforces errors because "clear and obvious" is clearly and obviously woolly as a definition (clear and obvious to most people or just to VARs in Stockley Park)? (And what happened to last week's stuff about the desire to keep 11 players on the pitch?)

The Palace timewasting from the first goal kick was painful. How many times should a ref make a wind-up "get on with it" signal to a GK before getting the card out?

And taking 2 minutes to decide an offside does feed the idea that if it takes that long to choose a frame that shows the player in an offside position, that's too long. The pic below is not the one VAR chose (player given offside is at bottom of frame).

1635769611314.png
He went for this one:

1635770125158.png

Attachments

• 1635769697472.png
    1635769697472.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 5
Back