A&H

Lee Trundle trick penalty

deusex

RefChat Addict

If you havent seen this on your facebook/twitter you soon will no doubt.

What say you?
Doesn't quite sit right with me

The Referee Store
Nope, I am pretty sure that comes under unsporting conduct for me. Feigning is one thing, but that is something completely different- cheating almost. (Cue being told it's perfectly legal )

Unfortunately anyone daring to suggest inappropriate behaviour by the penalty taker on fb is quickly slapped down by the great uneducated internet kangaroo court.

Certainly looks like an attempt to deceive to me!

For me that constitutes "illegal feinting". Caution and indirect free kick.

Great penalty. He didn't feint. He merely leant over the ball.

if that was a charity game then fair play to the lad... he's not the best player in the world but he's very entertaining !

Reactions: DB
Difficult, as he hasn't actually breached any of the laws as far as I can see. He's kicked it forward, he hasn't played it twice, and I'm struggling to see how he has feinted after the run up has finished. Certainly in a friendly let him get on with it and fair play for providing a bit of entertainment, wouldn't want to be the referee if this happened in a competitive game though.

the law state that "feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker"
By definition of the word "feint" (make a deceptive or distracting movement) should this have been "by law" disallowed, game started by an indirect free kick, and the taker cautioned?

i know this was a charity match to some common sense and the spirit of the occasion may/did over-rule it in this instance.

That's not the definition of "feint" by the LotG though...
IFAB LotG Glossary said:
Feinting
An action which attempts to confuse an opponent. The Laws define permitted and ‘illegal’ feinting.

Illegal feinting, by the Laws, is stopping at the completion of the run-up, such as stopping or faking a kick, then kicking. In this case, there's no stopping/slowing/etc of motion in the run-up, so it falls into a nice and grey area.

With that in mind, I'd be tempted to pass that video along to the IFAB for a point of clarification on this... is bending down like that (even though it's a smooth motion in the run-up) considered feinting at the completion of the run-up?

I dont see where the LoTG have been have been Breached in the clip, so I would be awarding the goal and returning play to the centre of the field of play and resuming from there

fair enough that the oxford definition and the LotG are slightly different, but the law still states that an action which attempts to confuse an opponent is "illegal"
this 100% comes into that bracket does it not?

There is some confusion here... ironically. the glossary defines feinting as an attempt to confuse your opponent illegal and permitted feinting are defined in the laws. This is two separate statements 1 that defines what feinting is and 1 which says that you need to refer to the laws for what is permissable and what is illegal feinting. Not that attempting to confuse your opponent is illegal. it is then the law that becomes a grey area in this case. i personally am of the opinion that this is illegal feinting... mainly down to spirit of the game and that whilst he doesnt stop his run up his action is equal to that in that it is a deliberate attempt to deceive the goalie that he is repositioning the ball and then kicking it in the goal. Is it possible to email ifab for clarification? who can do this? now its in the public domain some idiots are going to give it a go and if were all unclear we could end up with a last weeks ref situation :)

Back