A&H

Open Age L7-6 Promotion, Game 4

Yampy

RefChat Addict
Picked this game up late on Saturday afternoon for a Sunday league fixture the next morning. Two mid-table teams with nothing to play for in terms of promotion or relegation. Reds vs. Yellows and that was the limit of my preparation due to the late nature of the appointment.
Nondescript game in truth. Finished 0-0 and that pretty much tells you every thing you need to know. No goals, no cautions and little incident but it doesn't mean there isn't learning points from the game.
1) The away team were late arriving and the KO was nearly 15 minutes late. I'd did the kit and jewellery check (why does every team claim to have players with a "Prince Albert"? :rolleyes:) for both teams and called the captains together. Quick brief on my expectations, did the toss and got ready ... but what about CARs? A bit too rushed for my liking and I'd slipped from my usual routine. 2) There was only one foul of note during the whole game when a home defender slid in a bit too forceful for my liking. I could have produced a caution if I was hasty but instead I tried to calm it down with a public word. I think it worked and the game stayed at the same level of intensity. 3) In the first half, an away defender cleared with a header but received a push from the home attacker in doing so, I didn't blow as I saw there was an advantage to be played. The defender wasn't happy and said "sort it out ref, or I will myself". At the next stoppage (which seemed like minutes later!), I called over the defender for a word. I explained that I had seen the foul and there was advantage to play which I'd also signaled. I then made it clear that I would deal with discipline on the pitch and he wasn't to take the law into his own hands. To his credit, he kept his mouth shut and played fair for the rest of the game. I was pleased with both these decisions and I felt I'd used a good approach because the game wasn't deserving of cautions.
I also experienced a nasty clash of heads, too. Team mates and there was plenty of claret on show. I stopped the game immediately because it was clear to see. Two cuts on the head for both players and the home team substituted both players immediately. I thought both should have gone straight to A&E but they decided to stay on the sidelines and watch the rest of the game. I had a clear view of the incident and knew straight away there was trouble but it appeared as though both remained conscious. Aside from insisting the cuts be treated properly and bloodied kit be removed before the players could return, I left the rest to the home team to deal with.
At the end of the game, one of the away team was getting a bit vocal with me but I immediately told him to stop and say no more. The manager approached, shook my hand and had a stern word with the player, too. It would have been easy to let him talk himself into a red card or a misconduct but it wasn't that sort of game. He understood and walked away.
It looks as though this will be my last middle until next season starts in late summer but there's plenty to review in readiness for the push for promotion.

Attachments

• 20150419 Game 4.xls
    25 KB · Views: 20
The Referee Store
Back