A&H

Open Age L7-6 Promotion, Game 3

Yampy

RefChat Addict
I was looking forward to this one, a Sunday league between two Premiership teams and a bit of local rivalry thrown in. The standard of play in the league is okay and I was expecting some football to be played if I was able to allow it to be. The home team wore Red/Blue and the away team wore Red, not the best of starts but there was enough blue to distinguish. Once again, it was just me and therefore I was using CARs. I checked the pitch, nets, kit and jewellery, briefed the CARs and spoke to the captains which is becoming routine for me now. I was right about the football as both teams were comfortable on the ball and both pressed in defence to force mistakes. The away team played ball well to start with but the home team countered fast and went into a 3-0 lead within 20 minutes. By HT it was 3-1 and then the away team worked their way back into the match and eventually took the lead. In the end they held on to win but not before I had my say with a caution and a sending off. Physically, I didn't feel 100%. I can run, sprint, jog as long as I'm in a straight line but, I'm struggling to twist and turn. I've taken this as a warning and I should only take a game if I'm fit but how do I decide if I'm fit enough though? I'm undergoing physio and hoping the problem is soon sorted.
So, to the game itself and my feedback. The level of chat I get is consistent and usually, just appeals and disappointment/frustration at being caught out fouling. If I eventually get advice and set a benchmark I'll be happier but for now, I okay with how I'm dealing with it. I think I'm managing the game okay and keeping things under control but there were a few incidents which I've highlighted from this game.
1) After 30 minutes, I had cause to caution an away defender (#5) for a foul tackle which was cynical and broke up a promising attack. Simple decision and no complaints. 2) Before the start of the 2nd half, I sensed a change by the away team but couldn't figure it out. I called out to the captain (they had no manager on the side) and asked him if they'd made a change. No, he replied. I looked around again and was sure there was a different face on the pitch and I'd figured out what had happened so, I asked again. Last chance, I said and he replied we've changed our keeper, sorry! I called him over and thanked him for saving his team from another 2 cautions. As it happens, he also prevented a sending off because the new goalkeeper was the player previously cautioned. They didn't have spare shirts and had simply swapped shirts so, I now had to note there was a new #5 and that the keeper was on a yellow. 3) With little over a minute plus added time remaining, the new #5 committed a foul a few yards into the defending half which I penalised him for. No need for a caution, just a careless tackle in midfield. Why he gave me the volley of abuse I'll never know but my decision was straightforward. I called him over, got the name and explained he can't speak to anyone in that manner, it was offensive to me and insulting and I sent him off and showed the red card. 4) All game, the away team were asking about added time and now they were winning and down to 10, they suddenly wanted less than the 3 minutes I announced. With 15 seconds remaining (I had looked at my watch and was counting down in my head), the home team hit one over the top, a forward chased it down and the keeper dived, missed and brought the striker down. I awarded the penalty and it would be the final kick of the game. However, I should have cautioned the goalkeeper but I didn't. The caution would have been a second yellow and I missed it. Of course, the keeper made a save and the penalty was not scored and the away team won 4-3. I must improve and issue those cards when I should be doing so. That player certainly had a charmed life in this game.
Ironically, I had players from the home team asking me not to report the sending off. "He's a good lad", "It's only Sunday league", "he doesn't earn that much to pay the fine" etc but I politely said I always reported and suggested we change the subject. Apparently, he would be suspended and miss a cup final. Not my fault though, is it? He only had a few minutes remaining and didn't need to speak out but he did and is paying the penalty.

Attachments

• 20150405 Game 3.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 10
The Referee Store
Why are you asking the captain if a player has been changed at half-time? The captain might not have a scoobie.

Why are you asking the captain if a player has been changed at half-time? The captain might not have a scoobie.
As I stated, they had no manager on the sidelines and he'd put himself in charge before the game when speaking to me.

If you know the player has been changed then you're just asking for trouble by taking this approach. You can do the keeper if you want but seems very harsh on the skipper when you probably have no idea if he's lying or not.
I'd publicly ask the question if you weren't sure exactly who it was.

Last edited:
The way you handled the goalkeeper issue was good, if play had started you've got two mandatory cautions so that was fine.

However, you should have sent off the keeper after the second foul leading to the penalty. What often happens, as you found, is that goalkeeper remains on the pitch and ends up saving the penalty. That's asking for trouble.

However, you should have sent off the keeper after the second foul leading to the penalty. What often happens, as you found, is that goalkeeper remains on the pitch and ends up saving the penalty. That's asking for trouble.
I know I got that one wrong and I got away with it which is no excuse for the error. With the penalty kick being the last action of the game, I was able to blow the whistle and end the game. In truth, it was a careless attempt to get the ball and not worthy of a caution but I can see the argument about "breaking up a promising attack" and a few more seconds thought on my behalf would have helped me. Next time, I hope to have the nous to do the right thing.

Back