A&H

Keeper Handling Infrigements

padiman

Wished I started this when I was younger
Level 7 Referee
Today I had a keeper that parried the ball in the goal area, he then followed the rolling ball to the edge of the Penalty area and picked it up .. I gave an indirect free kick for handling twice.. Was I correct ?

The Referee Store
I'd say play on, but I stand to be corrected. If he parried it, I'm assuming it was a deliberate save, not a deliberate movement with his hands to push the ball in a certain area.

If it is a save im sure you cannot be penalised for two touches with the hand.

Today I had a keeper that parried the ball in the goal area, he then followed the rolling ball to the edge of the Penalty area and picked it up .. I gave an indirect free kick for handling twice.. Was I correct ?
This is the part of the Guidance notes in the LotG you are referencing

A goalkeeper is not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own penalty area in the following circumstances:
• if he handles the ball again after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player:
– the goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching it with any part of his hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from him, e.g. after he has made a save
– possession of the ball includes the goalkeeper deliberately parrying the ball
• if he touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
• if he touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

Deliberate parry = not allowed to touch the ball with his hands
Accidental parry = allowed to touch the ball with his hands

Yeah that's what i thought , he pushed it a good 8 yards and ran towards it. Got some abuse for it and it made me question my decision. Still did the free kick and told keeper to stop or he would be in the book.

Was the parry a save?.... or was it his choice to palm a gentle ball down rather than catch it?

if it the latter... youd be good to penalise..
if its the former.... id suggest you should play on....

It was a parry , he pushed the ball out with both hands and then ran after it quite a distance. If it had been a dropped catch in front of him then I would have played in but my first instinct was to blow b

how powerful was the shot and from what distance away from him was it hit, could he have held it. would be 2 questions I'd ask myself in this situation aswell.

He pushed the ball away from a shot outside the area while on his line then ran towards the ball and picked it up just before it went out of the area , so it rolled a fair way

By your description, I'd say save, then picking up. No issue.

A controlled parry is typically shown when a GK handles the ball, knocking it (in a somewhat controlled manner) to his/her feet, then waits for an opponent to come near before handling.

The whole point of this infringement is to avoid time wasting.

In your example, GK made a save... it obviously didn't go quite where expected. He chased it to the edge of the penalty area and controlled it.

I had something similar when being assessed. I gave it, the keeper later asked the assessor who told him I was right in law.

I may be alone, but if you're the only person who's noticed it. Then you're just creating a rod for your own back.

Plus, those club marks will take a hit ;):p

I may be alone, but if you're the only person who's noticed it. Then you're just creating a rod for your own back.

Plus, those club marks will take a hit ;):p
Referees should do what they think is right....... right?..... not what will give them the easiest time on the FOP.

Also..... refereeing for the sake of club marks?..... really? :/

Back