John Cummings........what a prat!

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
From the BBC Sport website

FA county official suspended over sexist remark

Football

Posted at17:48

A senior FA county official has been suspended for four months after telling a female referee "a woman's place is in the kitchen and not on a football field."

John Cummings, a vice president of the Northumberland County FA, made the comments in March this year to Lucy May, a referee development officer who was attending a referee workshop event when she asked Cummings about the possibility of officiating in the North East Sunday League.

She alleges Cummings rejected her request saying: "It's nothing against you personally but all the time I'm alive, a woman will never referee in my league". He added that she "wouldn't be able to handle it. A woman's place is in the kitchen and not on a football field."

An independent FA regulatory commission, led by solicitor and former Blackburn Rovers player Stuart Ripley, concluded that Cummings was guilty of a breach of FA rules relating to "abusive and/or insulting language", aggravated because of a specific reference to gender. Cummings may yet launch an appeal over the decision.

The Referee Store
What an idiot. Probably a man who has given a lot to the game (you would imagine so, given his position) and ruins it with his backward views towards gender.

County Football Association member in dinosaur view point shocker. There far to many old miserable sods stuck in football, stuck in their ways and unwilling to accept that things have changed since they first started.

Reactions: SM
To add to the irony of this whole saga, Lucy is now the RDO of Northumberland FA, having taken the post from her other half's father (Clive Oliver), who moved into a much more senior post at the County (from memory, I think he became CEO)

Ah the old, here have this sweet new job to keep them happy one. I've no doubt a stringent review was conducted by the FA as to who would best fill that role and she came out on top. Nothing to do with her father in law, definitely nothing.

Gents, I know Lucy personally and have worked with both Clive and Michael. I don't think any of them would appreciate anything even remotely suggesting that Lucy's appointment wasn't above board.

As for Mr Cummings, I am sure he will benefit from his diversity training and will continue to make a contribution to football in the north east.

Reactions: SM
No one has made an accusation Brian, just suggested it is highly coincidental, which from the outside it seems to be so. Unless someone from the Northumberland FA comes on and says differently we have to believe it was all above board.

Having said that, I refuse to believe that County FAs are not like any other old institution in that often it is not what you know but who you know that gets you ahead. I see it all the time in the Army let alone in a small County FA setup.

life is about who you know and less of what you know ... thats the way of the world, and in some cases, the way it should be - not as if its the ol' hand shake under the table with a brown envelope isit? lol

as for the comments ... they are a little harsh, but hey - whats a little sexism between colleagues? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Mr Cummings, I am sure he will benefit from his diversity training and will continue to make a contribution to football in the north east.

i'm guessing that you aren't being ironic, there, Brian, tho' i may be wrong.

not only did this pillar of the Northumberland County F.A. say what he did, he also lied about the fact that he'd said it at all

if he doesn't jump, then Oliver and the rest of his committee should certainly push him, otherwise your mate Lucy will have to continue to sit alongside him at a variety of functions and meetings in her role as Northumberland RDO and F.A. Ambassador and FA Tutor and Level 3 Referee

unfortunately it is highly unlikely that mr cummings is the only senior county f.a. official who holds such pathetic views, inside or outside of Northumberland.

Last edited:
only slightly Haywain...

as for you 'inside or outside' comment ... unfortunatley we have a fair amount of that here in sunny essex ... a pal/work collegue of mine had a female referee a few weeks back - his comment? 'she was an ok referee, but would have done a lot better if she was a bloke...silly so and so' (i wont put what he said just incase it causes offences, not sure if there are female refs on here etc) - i just shook my head in disbelief.

i personally tip my hat to any female referee - especially the young ones (this particular one i now know and is only early 20's like myself) - who wander over on a sunday morning to 30 odd blokes and take control...

wow - she is stunning ... is that ok to say? she could referee a game for me any day of the week...

plus a man only says those things as he doesnt know what to do with them in other rooms - thats what a female friend of mine said when i told her of this story haha

Reactions: ELP
...and former Blackburn Rovers player Stuart Ripley,

Thats the most awesome "Where Are They Now" ive ever read.

I like ex-footballers getting into the game, but these 'non-limelight' roles you never think about.

Think I still have a Pannini book with Stuart Ripley in... and Colin Hendry... and Sutton! Good ol' Rovers of yesteryear.

Ahh Chris Sutton. Did you know he is still playing at 41? For wroxham in the isthmian south division one haha.

As a Chelsea fan I truly believe this is where he belongs. 1 goal in 26 apps for Chelsea I think it was. Makes Torres look like a God

Hmmmm.
Youngest referee to officiate at Wembley.
Youngest ever EPL 4th official
Youngest referee to referee in the EPL(where he still looks out of place 4/5 years later)
Youngest ever FL AR
Youngest ever FL ref
I'm sure his rise wasn't "lubricated" in the slightest.
The current situation of dad/son/future daughter in high ranking positions is incredulous and no reasonable person would believe this purely coincidence.

Back