A&H

Joey Barton Red Card

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Did anyone see on the Football League Show (or at the game) Joey Barton's two yellow cards in the space of a few seconds? They said it was harsh but for me the ref got it right on both occasions. I do not understand Joey Barton ;)

The Referee Store
The ref got it right for me, on the subject of Mr Barton I can't help but love him... He's like marmite, you either love him or you hate him

Football league show is on past my bedtime. Is it on iplayer?

Should be on iplayer at some point today, you can watch it on a Sunday morning on the red button

The bit I didn't get having now watched it was that if the ref thought that Barton had thrown an elbow, why did he go for the yellow and not a straight red? If he didn't think it was an elbow then I'm not sure what he's cautioned him for?

As for the second yellow, bang on, Barton deliberately picked the ball up and kicked it against the player, albeit not hard. Easy second yellow to give, but actually unnecessary based on the first yellow he's issued.

Back in the day......kicking/throwing the ball directly at anyone in a violent manner, opponent or otherwise, was a straight red card anyway, I'm surprised to see so many PL and FL referees issuing 2nd yellows to be honest where red cards would have been a more appropriate punishment

Back