A&H

Issued a red card, then rescinded it

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
So, after my post a few weeks back where I had a torrid time, followed up by my game last week which went better, today's one I made a **** up but admitted my mistake before restart and rectified which was praised all round.

Game had 6 yellows in the end, mostly for persistent fouling. 3 each.
Both teams had numbers 3 and 8 cautioned.
But it was number 8 for the away side I ****ed up on. When I cautioned the home player, I wrote his shirt number and name in book under the away teams name. When the away player made a foul later in the game (my 5th caution), I opened book, saw the shirt number 8 in the away side of my book, and took it that I'd already cautioned him. I showed the yellow followed by a red card.
He protested his innocence as number 8 of the home side came to me and said I got it wrong.
I realised straight away when the home one came to me that id just embarrassed myself in that error, took the away players name and he walked away. But because I had already shown him a red card, I called him back and said I'm going through formalities here and showed the red card to him whilst "cutting the grass" to indicate its been cancelled but reminded him I had shown him the yellow when I showed the red and that the yellow still stands.

I hope I done this correctly by the way.
Both teams came to me at the end praising me and even said I had balls to correct that error and some said others may not have and stood their ground. One of the players I cautioned earlier in the game said he respected me more for that error saying we're all human.

The Referee Store
It happens, this is pretty much what Graham Poll did in the World Cup, although in his case he thought the player hadn't already been cautioned as he had written his number in the other team's column. It is also one of the reasons why in England we have to take a name not just a number, it prevents issues like this.

Back