A&H

Irritating Player

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Had a slightly 'annoying' player in my U18 match at the weekend.

He was actually the sub keeper, so he was CAR in the first half. Enthusiastic and up with play, he was excellent.

That changed when his manager brought him on up front for the second half though; his ball control was terrible and every time he lost it, he'd throw himself to the floor. Wasn't really sure what to do because he didn't ask for a free kick, just got up laughing, much to the frustration of the opposition.

With the score at 0-1 with ten minutes to go, he started to count to six every time the 'keeper had the ball in his hands (yes, really! :hmmm:). The away defender then went down injured, so the 'keeper kicked the ball out of play whilst he was treated. The striker then walked over to take the throw and said he was giving it back, fair play. But, he then dropped the ball and walked of...'it slipped ref, I can't touch it again now'...so I told him to just knock it back, which he didn't. Anyway, the defender ran over and played on.

Just curious as to how I could have dealt with him? Perhaps the throw situation could have been UB? Dissent? They would've been very soft bookings to say the least.

The Referee Store
That is annoying.

Aside from being annoying though he hasn't done a lot wrong. You could in theory book for simulation with his dives, very soft though. You could caution for USB - distracting an opponent whilst the ball is in play or at a restart for his counting (after a warning) again very soft. With the throw, not a lot you can do. Give a Foul throw and a stern look? ;)

Probably better to just ignore him than look for soft ways to punish him. :)

That is annoying.

Aside from being annoying though he hasn't done a lot wrong. You could in theory book for simulation with his dives, very soft though. You could caution for USB - distracting an opponent whilst the ball is in play or at a restart for his counting (after a warning) again very soft. With the throw, not a lot you can do. Give a Foul throw and a stern look? ;)

Probably better to just ignore him than look for soft ways to punish him. :)

That's exactly what I did in the end. I considered the foul throw, but that would have disadvantaged the defending team by allowing the attackers to box them in.

I just laughed at him, in the hope he'd realise that he was embarrassing himself! Players, eh? ;)

Acting in a manner that shows a lack of respect for the game

Warn him then card him if he persists

Acting in a manner that shows a lack of respect for the game

Warn him then card him if he persists
I have been dying to use this, it's one of those laws which has no explanation but could fit all manner of situations potentially.

I have been dying to use this, it's one of those laws which has no explanation but could fit all manner of situations potentially.

I almost gave one in my first oa game to a player who took a pee at half-time near the halfway line, in the middle of a public recreation ground, when the changing rooms were 5 yards behind the goal at one end of the pitch.

Would definitely give it should it ever happen again, just to give the lie to spending a penny

You said he was 'sub keeper' but I am reading it that he came on as an outfield player?

Quiet word with him first. Stern 'public' word then a card if he persists. 'Unsporting remarks/gestures' is a good catch all for players like that.

If he's counting down from 6, thank him for his help but explain that you, nor any of the other 17/18 year olds actually need help counting to six, but if you struggle to count that high in you head, please keep it under your breath.

Back