A&H

Iran v Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... the PK for handball to Iran????? No way that is clear and obvious error. Even watching it in slow motion, it is hard to be certain there was contact. This one was bad and should not have been reviewed in my opinion. These reviews are the crux of the issue with VAR. Now how to fix it (because I dont think they will let it go away)....

Agree, it isn't going away. Equally it shouldn't have been introduced to the biggest competition in the World before it was ready. Certainly not at the same time as referees are told to be lenient on dissent and SPA. It has taken referees who have earned their right to be at the World Cup right out of their comfort zones and they really don't know where they stand.

The Referee Store
9 pages of basically complete agreement that VAR is an absolute joke!!! How can anyone watch that and think its a great concept!!!!! Please reply if you do!!!!

There’s a key thing about VAR which people seem to be forgetting. It’s a camera. That’s it. You can have people elsewhere reviewing decisions and giving the referee advice but when it comes down it, the referee still makes the decision.

Complain about VAR all you want with that handball decision, or any other decision for that matter but it’s not VAR giving it, the providing a tool to help the referee make a decision. If he still gets that wrong then he’s the problem, not VAR

There’s a key thing about VAR which people seem to be forgetting. It’s a camera. That’s it. You can have people elsewhere reviewing decisions and giving the referee advice but when it comes down it, the referee still makes the decision.

Complain about VAR all you want with that handball decision, or any other decision for that matter but it’s not VAR giving it, the providing a tool to help the referee make a decision. If he still gets that wrong then he’s the problem, not VAR

That's just not reality. If you've got 7 colleagues in a room telling you to review an incident, you know it is because they think there was a clear and obvious error. The dice are loaded. You know they have looked at 7 camera angles a dozen times already. All the pressure is to give the offence in a situation where none was called. And all the pressure is to reverse the decision if a review is "recommended" where an offence was called.

The referee is not alone. It's now a team of so many I've lost count!

Classic scapegoating IMHO.

That's just not reality. If you've got 7 colleagues in a room telling you to review an incident, you know it is because they think there was a clear and obvious error. The dice are loaded. You know they have looked at 7 camera angles a dozen times already. All the pressure is to give the offence in a situation where none was called. And all the pressure is to reverse the decision if a review is "recommended" where an offence was called.

The referee is not alone. It's now a team of so many I've lost count!

Classic scapegoating IMHO.
Recommended is the key word in that. The referee doesn’t have to give it. That hand ball is a prime example. We all know it’s not a penalty but he’s been told you review it.

He watches the replay, he then decides penalty. VAR doesn’t make the decision. It’s poor refereeing

It’s a camera. That’s it.
Sorry, but that's just not true. It's a load of people in a room, a truck load of cameras, mics and headsets, editing machines, computers, mice, hot cross buns and a FIFA representative (who is definitely in no way involved). It's also speech, instructions, advice... and it's a horribly positioned screening booth at the side of the stage. And it's also a reputation, a protocol and... I'll stick my neck out here... a bit of a shambles that's gonna take plenty more defending before it gets to the prem I would have thought;)

Recommended is the key word in that. The referee doesn’t have to give it. That hand ball is a prime example. We all know it’s not a penalty but he’s been told you review it.

He watches the replay, he then decides penalty. VAR doesn’t make the decision. It’s poor refereeing

Again, why does the VAR team recommend a review?

Is it because they think the referee was right the first time?

It's not impartial advice is it?

It's not a free choice for the referee.

Again, why does the VAR team recommend a review?

Is it because they think the referee was right the first time?

It's not impartial advice is it?

It's not a free choice for the referee.

But is that a problem with the system or the people using it? I’m not saying it’s fullproof at the moment but if we look at this tournament as a whole, there’s been a lot of correct decisions made using the technology against one moment tonight.

Reactions: JH
But is that a problem with the system or the people using it? I’m not saying it’s fullproof at the moment but if we look at this tournament as a whole, there’s been a lot of correct decisions made using the technology against one moment tonight.
One moment???????

Last edited:
Don't envy the referee who has to make an onfield review. The referee is being told he's made a 'clear & obvious' error by a video team who have had the benefit of multiple replays, almost impossible to stick with your original decision even if you think the VARs talking ********.

Now you have lost me...

They are replaying incidents to referees in a both who then communicate to the ref on the pitch.

The whole concept is called VAR..

I’m confused as to what has caused the uproar on here tonight if it wasn’t the VAR process.

VAR has missed more than it’s given over the tournament.

Infact it’s probably missed ten times more than it’s given.

It’s got selective inconsistent tendency’s that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Im VAR’d out..

I’m over it, just hurry up England get knocked out on pens Brazil lift the trophy & let’s all get back to a degree of normality in our Domestic league where we can praise and slate refs for who they really are.

9 pages of basically complete agreement that VAR is an absolute joke!!! How can anyone watch that and think its a great concept!!!!! Please reply if you do!!!!
I honest feel VAR is a great concept. Even with today's dubious decisions, I still feel this introductory year with VAR has gone great. Of course I'm partial, since the trial went nearly flawlessly here in the Netherlands. Also, a point we can hardly dismiss is that Lahoz called a penalty for the same offense. I can only conclude that Fifa agreed and that is why the VAR panel sent it down as a possible obvious error.

The only way anyone will ever agree is with a full referee micing up. And that will end with one year of abandoning games for dissent, so no way fifa will let that happen.

Okay, slight rant over. I can't think referees are incapable at the WC, so I agree with the claim that grassroots football stick to the IFAB laws, while the professionals make our job more difficult

I honest feel VAR is a great concept. Even with today's dubious decisions, I still feel this introductory year with VAR has gone great. Of course I'm partial, since the trial went nearly flawlessly here in the Netherlands. Also, a point we can hardly dismiss is that Lahoz called a penalty for the same offense. I can only conclude that Fifa agreed and that is why the VAR panel sent it down as a possible obvious error.

The only way anyone will ever agree is with a full referee micing up. And that will end with one year of abandoning games for dissent, so no way fifa will let that happen.

Okay, slight rant over. I can't think referees are incapable at the WC, so I agree with the claim that grassroots football stick to the IFAB laws, while the professionals make our job more difficult

Can I ask if you are @cwyeary reincarnated as @Jorik0907 :)

At 90 minutes, minimum 6 minutes added time was indicated. Review was in progress at the time which started at 89.00. Lets assume the one minute review time so far was included in the minimum 6.

Restart of play was signalled at 92.40 (review completed at 91.40). That is another 2.40 minutes added on top of 6.

94.10 signal for substitution. Play restart at 95.35. That is another 1 min 25 sec added on top.

Lets not include any time for goal celebration during added time. A total of at least another 4 minutes should have been added to the 6. Iran were shortchanged 3 crucial minutes of play and the fans of getting value for their money.

...as a tool or as a weapon?
Irrelevant in the case of Ronaldo.

1529992113552.png

There is no Careless, reckless, excessive force here. Its either negligible or not, meaning red or nothing. A yellow card is incorrect in law. The fact it was cautioned means the strike was seen. Red all day without a shadow of doubt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back