A&H

Inverness v Celtic

The Referee Store
straight red, would of sent him walking if anyone did that to me!

if he did it to a player, he would of found himself having a early shower... Let alone the referee

That said, the referee wasn't in the correct position for the corner to be taken.. hmm

Last edited by a moderator:
why the referee was stood where he was when the corner was taken isn't easy to fathom. though given that he's been refereeing for over 20 years, i'd guess that events prior to the corner might shed some light on that.

If it were a linesman or an in play incident off of the pitch it's a dropped ball

Can only be an IFK, DFK's are only committed against an opponent or for deliberate handling of the ball, there's a line at the end of L13 ,IFK's where it says you'll award one for anything else that happens on the FOP that is not listed here but that causes you to stop play. Logically it affords some 'punishment' against the player's team, this has got to be a prime example.

I agree, technical assault

which begs the question, why did a referee with 22 years experience including 8 years in the spl do nothing more than have a word with him

The referee might of knew he was in the way, hence the reason he didn't show a red?

If that happened to me and I knew I was in the way, I would at least give a yellow if not a red still, at the end of the day no one has the right to push anyone over like that...

So if you give a yellow, what would you then give? E.g. IDFK. I'm still stuck on this one with what I would do!!

So if you give a yellow, what would you then give? E.g. IDFK. I'm still stuck on this one with what I would do!!

It is a tricky one because as people have questioned above, is it a free kick or not? I would definitely punish the player, I'm just stuck on the free kick or not??
Anyone else got any ideas?

perhaps that's why the ref didn't send him off. god knows he wanted to but he couldn't for the life of him remember how to restart play - can anyone lip read cos i'm sure that's roughly what he tells the player

having checked my lotg, i'm with topman on this, an indirect free kick to the opposition if you caution or send off the player who 'assaulted' you, though the line he refers to is in law 12 and not law 13 and it is only an indirect free kick if you caution or send off, not simply stop play

to quote

an indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:
- commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in law 12, (which this situation isn't), for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player

"an indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:
commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in law 12 or which play is stopped to caution or send off a player"

If you're giving red there it has to be a dropped ball.

This is a pushing/striking offence which is mentioned in at a previous point in law 12 under direct free kicks, but it isn't committed against an opponent so it cannot be punished with a free kick. You would give an IDFK in an incident where you would have to stop the game for dissent for example as it is not previously mentioned in the LotG at this point in the book. However if play is stopped to issue a sanction for an offence of say violent conduct against a team mate, ref, outside agent etc. then the laws stipulate that a dropped ball is the restart.

i have to disagree, xman

why do i disagree?

nowhere in law 12 does it say that misconduct committed against a referee cannot be penalised with a free kick

'dissent .... not previously mentioned in the lotg at this point in the book ' (cf 'not previously mentioned in law 12')

'if play is stopped to issue a sanction for an offence of violent conduct against a ....ref, then the laws stipulate that a dropped ball is the restart' (see application of the laws, law12 - 'if the ball is in play and a player commits an offence inside the field of play against the referee....play is restarted with an indirect free kick')

'If it were a linesman or an in play incident off of the pitch it's a dropped ball'

in for a penny.....

not quite accurate from topman there

cf application of the lotg, law 12 'if the ball is in play and the offence occured outside the field of play:
if the player leaves the field of play to commit the offence, play is restarted with an indirect free kick'

The referee is entitled to be on the park, just like the players. Although he may be in the wrong position, it's still VC. May seem harsh since the ref was technically at fault but what kind of example does it show younger kids if they see him push an SPFL referee and get away with it?

IDFk to celtic

"an indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:
commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in law 12 or which play is stopped to caution or send off a player"

"Or send off a player" says it all......IFK

The off field offences I referred to were where players accidentally slide off of, or are off of the FOP and maybe one of them commits misconduct against anyone at all......drop ball at the place the ball was etc, deliberately leaving to commit an offence is an offence itself, restarting with an IFK from where the ball was when you stopped play, the special circumstances for offences committed with the ball in his own goal area taken into account for both

If a player commits an act of violent conduct on anyone other than an opponent, whilst on the field of play, and with the ball in play, he gets a red card and I restart with an IFK from the place of the offence (again clause for defender's own goal area applies)

Back