A&H

How to close the net?

And to bring @HRW and @RegalRef together in one post, who is going to do all this work and who is going to pay for it?

If we can't police unregistered referees pulling on a black kit each weekend, how would you stop the unrenewed?

I honestly don't think it would be much work at all.

1. You add whatever presentation is required to get the latest amendments to the laws of the game across as the very first part of re-affiliation, (before any data entry) on Whole Game System, thus everybody who completes affiliation via whole game has seen all of the changes.
2. The 5% max who don't use Whole Game are contacted by whatever means possible to organise facilitation of the required additional education required before they can apply for re-affiliation.

This is known as 'Gateway Training' - the training has to be completed as a mandatory before the next step can even be attempted.

For point 2 an outside company could be used to process if CFA don't have resources - approximate cost £2 per contact required.

Working on the previous example of 1407 referees in London, 5% of which don't use Whole Game (although I suspect it's actually a lot less) equates to circa £140 cost to the contact centre.

Anybody know the typical percentages of non Whole Game users in their county?

The Referee Store
I do not think law changes are as well communicated as they used to be. For start of 2014-15 season there was the change to offside interpretation. I stumbled across this on about page 30 of the refereeing magazine issued in may 2014. A lot of referees were unaware of change and continued to use old interpretation.
Up until a few years ago every referee received law changes through the post and I don't know of any referee who did not read these.

I do not think law changes are as well communicated as they used to be. For start of 2014-15 season there was the change to offside interpretation. I stumbled across this on about page 30 of the refereeing magazine issued in may 2014. A lot of referees were unaware of change and continued to use old interpretation.
Up until a few years ago every referee received law changes through the post and I don't know of any referee who did not read these.
Not only was there a massive discussion among referees, there was a massive media storm about the "new offside rule" despite it not been a new rule, just a different interpretation, a clarification. I guess it depends who you surround yourself with. If you're not involved in CPD at CFA and RA level and none of the officials you regular speak to are, it could go amiss.

It's worth noting that the LOTG do highlight in each edition any new laws via a mark in the margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: SM
It's worth noting that the LOTG do highlight in each edition any new laws via a mark in the margin.
But that requires you to either buy, or download, the latest LotG each year. I do - as part of the registration process (which I've just done for the next season) - you can buy a copy of the next season's LotG, as I like to have it in my kit bag. But I wonder how many "active" referees do get the latest copy each year. I like the idea quoted above - make registration via WGS mandatory, and as part of that process you have to go through a re-certification test. Don't have access to a PC? Tough, get access to one - your local library, county HQ etc.

It is such a minor thing to download and have a read of the updated sections of the LOTG book.

One to two hours maximum depending on number of changes.

But that requires you to either buy, or download, the latest LotG each year. I do - as part of the registration process (which I've just done for the next season) - you can buy a copy of the next season's LotG, as I like to have it in my kit bag. But I wonder how many "active" referees do get the latest copy each year. I like the idea quoted above - make registration via WGS mandatory, and as part of that process you have to go through a re-certification test. Don't have access to a PC? Tough, get access to one - your local library, county HQ etc.
The tools are there, it is the responsibility of the official to remain up to date.

The tools are there, it is the responsibility of the official to remain up to date.

I agree, and 90% of them will.

But is it right that the remaining 10% are not only not up to date, but could be years out of date and completely unchecked/uneducated?

I agree, and 90% of them will.

But is it right that the remaining 10% are not only not up to date, but could be years out of date and completely unchecked/uneducated?
My post was in response to the comment in regards to "that requires you to either buy, or download, the latest LotG each year".

I do think it is the responsibility of the officials to stay up-to-date, but in terms of CFA staying on top of those that don't, I think it's a complicated matter. Maybe in 10 years time grassroots football will be in a better state to deal with this, I somehow doubt it.

A simple 100 question test, to be completed when registering for each season.....as registration is online, the test can be Web based.....job done.

No pass, no registration.

Daily mail headline: "only 121 referees qualified to referee football in England in season 2016/17 shocker!"

I can see it now. :D
@SM to take charge of Manchester United v Liverpool as select group all fail exam. Hmmmmm!

Quality over quantity....

If there is to be quality control in place there has to be an acceptance that it means some form of restriction until the required level is met.....

Fact is it'll never happen, not really, not at grass roots level. The money ain't there and nobody actually cares enough. All they want is some individual dressed differently, who can make a few decisions (right or wrong) on the field and whom they can blame afterwards or even during the match. Pay him/her their £25 match fee and the job's a goodun. Sad, but true.
Unfortunately the standard of football and player at grass roots level varies so much from league to league and region to region that it's often a bit of a lottery as to whether the standard of referee is commensurate with the standard of player/football he's officiating. This anomaly will (cue Padders :rolleyes: ) in my opinion become even more prevalent after the forthcoming pigeon-holing of Levels 7 - 5 after next season.

Fitness, LOTG knowledge, eyesight (yes, that's another obvious one) and correct application of law are all things/skills that can fade over a protracted period of time, and the only realistic way to highlight the potential shortcomings of referees is to have every referee monitored/assessed for their suitability to continue refereeing rather than promotion. Something like 3 matches a season, conducted at least say, every 3 years (a bit like Safeguarding Children).

Just my take on it...... :cool:

I'll be honest/controversial.....I haven't bought a copy of the LOTG since I qualified.

(That doesn't mean I haven't looked at PDFs!)
This season was the first season since I qualified that I haven't bought a copy of the LOTG, I don't overly see the point with the online version been easily accessible.

A simple 100 question test, to be completed when registering for each season.....as registration is online, the test can be Web based.....job done.

No pass, no registration.
This is apparently going to be the case for all referees at all levels in NI soon - laws and fitness test annually.

Because of the major re write Middlesex are sending all registered referees a free copy for 16/17, this was communicated in letter attached to invite to register, along with the usual reminders about reporting all misconduct, closing dates etc etc

Same thing.....

You are identifying those who would benefit from additional training, thus developing them into better referees.

Do you think that if I happen to see a referee now, who is obviously making errors in law or performing poorly due to a lack of required knowledge, that I simply ignore it, or have a quiet word in the relevant ears to try and improve the situation?

Besides once the whole 7-5 pathway is removed what else are assessors going to do?
There won't be enough 5-4 candidates to keep us all busy!

So whats the rumoured changes to 7 to 5 promotion? Not kept up with this...

From what I've read on here, apparently levels 7&6 might be going, and we would all be level 5 with letters to indicate whether you can do youth, open age etc.

That's my understanding of it at least

Back