A&H

How To Avoid Being The Fly On The Wall?

The Referee Store
Is it true the offical ref kit of Scotland is a rab c Nesbit style string vest and braces?

:D

Used to love that show.

Rules in my league say "before or immediately after the game". If it's after the game, I ask nicely, give them 10 minutes then leave.
I will get my money through the league and they will get a £50 fine.

In our Sunday league, clubs are required to pay the match fee before the game. Many don't. So at the end of the game I go and get changed and go home. And then report the club. One thing I will never do is hang around a changing room waiting for money.

Only once have I waited by a changing room for payment, and on that occasion the home team were discussing how sh*t I was. I just coughed, walked in and reminded them that I was reffing them the following week.

Clearly in reality it wouldn't make a difference to my impartiality, but they knew what I meant and my word were they well behaved the following week.

As I didn't want to be in that position again, I always insist on payment before the game or immediately afterwards.

Going back to the original question - we were always given a great bit of advice from one of our experienced members (and Appointments Sec. of the local Sunday Morning League).

He said that when the home club rang up to confirm the fixture on the Thursday night prior - a quick request of "Can you make sure you have my cash ready before the game with the report form".

This normally worked well

Down this neck of the woods , how it works 80% of the time is that the refereeing team don't leave the changing room pre match until they have match fees , 2 match balls, subs card and half time drinks , if these items don't appear , its a fine from the league for each 1

Tends to get through eventually
and it saves you having to hear how bad a ref you really are afterwards !

Is it true the offical ref kit of Scotland is a rab c Nesbit style string vest and braces?

:D

Used to love that show.
Cmon SM you should know you cannot wear a white Hanky while reffin

Must be Black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SM
My referee association advises that match fees be collected before the game kicks off, to avoid that sort of situation after the match.

Lol I have been paid before the game 3 times so far this season! Not even asked for that to happen either. Teams just keen to get it out the way I guess :)

That's the best way to avoid being the fly: get paid before the match. Then it's just handing them their copy of the game sheet and moving on.

Money ,Flags , Balls and Drink before the game otherwise its a fine for the team .....and I would be very poor and dehydrated (performance related observation )

I regularly took a transistor radio to Saturday afternoon games, 5 live after the game turned up blocked any of the nonsense out, without being so loud I couldn't still understand what was going on between dressing rooms if I needed to. After a few minutes the volume can usually be slightly lowered. Clubs got used to me doing it, so you actually end up being asked "How are XXXX getting on Ref?"

You do hear some hurtful and painful comments, and a single match official can start feeling a bit lonely. Stick to your post match routine, carry on concentrating on what you're still doing, rather than what you did, there's time for self assessment later, keep your cool, keep concentrating. It's an extension of your game without the running!

That worked for me because I'm a stubborn old git anyway, but the serious point of what I'm saying is plan yourself a post match routine, as you would for before the game. Unwind the spring in my head was the idea of the exercise for me, let a little pressure off of myself.

An interesting point, that's my next society invitation topic thank you!

Back