A&H

How To Avoid Being The Fly On The Wall?

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
One of the worst things ive found, apart from waiting 15+ minutes for the fee at the end of the game - is that whilst waiting 15+ minutes around the changing rooms for the Managers to collect subs/remember to pay me etc, I have to listen to 15+ minutes of really quite targeted and unfiltered abuse.

Yes, they might bite their tongue on the pitch - and if they do lose it - its heat of the moment, short blurts of rage.

But to sit there and listen to a proper team debate about everything (they think) I got wrong - can really put a dampener on your mood.

Luckily, by the time im home, ive always forgotten about the game and carry nothing with me.

But those 15+ minutes can sometimes either make you want to quit the game... Or run into the changing rooms with your fists flying.

I could *not* be the fly on the wall and walk away, but it seems the further I stand from the changing rooms is in direct correlation with the waiting time.

If players come out and see you - they usually shout for the manager and say "Refs waiting" to the others - which helps move things along. But if im miles away - they dont notice me till its too late and they're not close enough to turn around and shout into the changing rooms.

The Referee Store
What do local/league rules specify around payment of the ref?

I wouldnt be hanging around outside changing rooms even if they were praising me.

If I have not received my fee 20 mins (to the second) after I blow for full time I am outta there. And the league will be informed.
They are taking the p*** and they know it.
Don't hang around anywhere near the changing room. You're just inviting extra work in the form of misconduct reports.

As I shake the managers hands after game I stay next to them and they pay up. If they go to do team talk before paying me I say "sorry gaffer do you mind if I get my fee first as I've got another game to get to"

Simples

Another thing is to accept that players are idiots and it doesn't matter how good of a game you had, there will ALWAYS be decisions they disagree with and they will ALWAYS abuse you for it and blame you for "ruining the game"

I must hear this after 60% of my games and its ALWAYS losing team, especially when there's been a penalty or lots of yellows or a red.

Players are arseholes. Period.

I was always told to get the ball at full time. Hold onto it until payment comes your way.

I don't consciously do this, but it is amazing how much home teams want their ball back...

I was always told to get the ball at full time. Hold onto it until payment comes your way.

I don't consciously do this, but it is amazing how much home teams want their ball back...

There's a manager round here that won't pay up until he gets the ball back off the ref!! Despite his team playing with a woods one side of the pitch and a river the other!

I'm from France
Here both coachs (or captains if they are adults) have to sign the game sheet in my locker room and get their licences back, then the local team keeps the sheet, so they come pretty quickly by themselves (most of the time i don't even have the time to change) and give me my check at the same time

We can get either cash or a cheque yes ! But in the 28 games i refed i've been paid only twice in cash, i guess most clubs prefer cheques for financial monitoring

So is it cash only in the UK or does the club have choice ?
I personally prefer cheques (or maybe it just became an habit) because I have to cash it in the bank and I can't blow it on crispy tenders :D (and God knows that's tempting !)

Here clubs never **** up because in addition of my fees, they'll have to pay a pretty big fine to the District :p(About twice the amount they owed me..)
Btw if the District has to pay me, they will by bank transfer, but it never happend yet

Same rules in my league but doesn't stop the people running the clubs being bell ends! Think it's £100 fine here

I have so many questions about the UK system but I think we're drifting off topic :D

I have so many questions about the UK system but I think we're drifting off topic :D

Most of us have questions too as it varies massively from county to county. Whats pink in one county is blue in another. Also although we are the "United Kingdom", England Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland all run independant FAs so we all work differently! Many Welsh on here, and from some of their posts their system seems as clear as mud!

What amaze me the most is that you can officiate in any league you want in your County by sending some mails, is that right ? And clubs have to be in touch with you before a game to confirm ?

Back