A&H

How old do you have to be to ref an under 16s game

The Referee Store
Technically you aren't allowed. Until you are 16 you have to do games that are 2 years below your age group. So because you would play in U16 (I'm assuming), the maximum you could do is U14. I think I have that right, someone else may correct me though :)

Correct Charlie. I play U16 and can referee up to U14 :)

EDIT: Checked my local FA handbook, and they have changed it to one year difference. So, instead as mentioned underneath you can referee one year below.

Last edited:
I was refereeing open age when I was 16. Was nearly 15 years ago now, so times have changed. But as posted above, you shouldn't be doing U16's just yet

Its unfortunate, I'm not 16 till next July, so can't start open next season now! I want to start open age as soon as possible, the way I see it the sooner you get into it, the more experience you have in it. Although, I know not to deep in too soon!

It depends what FA you're with. Which one are you with?

Herts. Definitely says that on the registration form for this season!

I was refereeing open age when I was 16. Was nearly 15 years ago now, so times have changed. But as posted above, you shouldn't be doing U16's just yet
Ross, that's what I'm doing now! 16 and on the open age. Find it much more enjoyable.

Hate the age limit rule, I am 14 and want to start open age and try to work my way up the promotion ladder but have to wait at least 18 months for that :(

Hate the age limit rule, I am 14 and want to start open age and try to work my way up the promotion ladder but have to wait at least 18 months for that :(
I understand your frustration, but the rule is there for a reason. I really don't want to sound mean or arrogant but I don't think Reffing open age at 14 is a good idea. You may well be a great ref with good match control, but imagine being a 25 year old player, and a 14 year old turns up to ref, you will get comments and players will attempt to take advantage. My advice for you would be do what I did and go to a few local Sunday league matches to get the feel of what it would be like to ref them. Then if you want to, start open age as soon as you turn 16:) make sure you have a good strong chat with the captains at KO and act confident. When you get the chance, make a player move back a few yards when they are taking the throw in so you stay in control. Little things like that show them who is boss;) when you start open age, send me a message and let me know how you get on buddy! :-D

Yeah I see, I think you're right, :) I just wish it was up to me that's all so I could start when I feel ready but I guess there are going to be a lot of restrictions in life that I have to just get on with :(. Thanks for showing me another way of looking at it, I never thought about that before.

When you get the chance, make a player move back a few yards when they are taking the throw in so you stay in control. Little things like that show them who is boss;)
While the rest may be great advice, take this bit with a pinch of salt. A 16 year old ref being overly fussy just to give the illusion of being in control. Asking for trouble.

I'm 16 and have been appointed to do the line this weekend for the Cheltenham Town u16s, so I don't think there is strict guidelines on assistant appointments. Also, the guys at the academy want me to move up to do the line on the ctfc u18s soon as well :-S I might get ripped apart !

I'm 16 and have been appointed to do the line this weekend for the Cheltenham Town u16s, so I don't think there is strict guidelines on assistant appointments. Also, the guys at the academy want me to move up to do the line on the ctfc u18s soon as well :-S I might get ripped apart !
Will, I wouldn't worry! I'm only 16 and have been doing Open Age games since I turned 16. Not as bad as some make it out to be! - or from my experience at least. You'll be fine!

Well I'm 16 in January, and also contemplating whether to start open age straight away, how did you find your first few games compared to youth games?

Personally, I would much rather be doing open age than u15/u17/u18.

Too much testosterone in the youths and a need to 'assert' themselves, physically and verbally.

Back