A&H

How many games a weekend?

I could not do more than one OA game in a day, I don't know how people do that.

I could do two games a weekend but I coach a youth team on Sundays so it's one for me, which is quite enough. I often do a midweek game too.
Easily to be honest. But we're all different and the key is to understand what we can do mentally and physically. Also depends on standard. Doing 2 step 5 games would be possible but I wouldn't be physically or mentally able to guarantee that I wouldn't be hindered so I wouldn't do that (wouldn't happen anyway). But 2 lower league OA games, wouldn't even give it a second thought other than its good for my fitness and a few quid in the pocketl.

The initial question shouldn't be asked as those answering are from too wide a spectrum. The question should only be "how many games as I currently capable of doing?" And that question can only be answered by the person asking it

The Referee Store
Back when I was young and fit(ter) I did 4 a weekend. Academy game Saturday morning, open age Saturday afternoon and then 2 open age on a Sunday. Now I do one game on a Saturday afternoon and an Under 7’s game on a Sunday if my sons team are at home

What I'll write next is my personal opinion based on my age (mid-40s) and what I feel like I can handle to limit injuries, be mentally sharp, and still have time for my family and full-time job.

During the fall, that is our college season in addition to club games. I will normally work one college game during the week, sometimes two if one of those games does not involve travel out of my metro area. I will then work a college game (possibly a doubleheader where I could do one middle/one AR or two ARs) on one weekend day and then work 1-2 club games on the other day.

During the spring, our high schools play. In the past, I have worked as many as four nights a week, most of those two games each night (one younger game and one "senior" game with upperclassmen). I am cutting that back to two nights a week and then following a similar schedule on the weekends substituting high school for college on Saturday.

Generally speaking, for me the mental fatigue happens faster than the physical fatigue. I feel like I'm in pretty good shape and can keep up with games well, but I definitely can feel when I'm not as mentally sharp or "on" as I would like to be. That's when I will try to scale back some games if I'm able to do so.

I'm also starting to do more mentoring/coaching, and my son is playing high school soccer in the spring. So that is a natural limit on my officiating since I do not work boys games for my son's school unless they are "JV2" games where they basically have kids who are lower on the playing ladder.

Last edited:
I’m 56. Level 7 hopefully 6 in a few days. Been reffing for one year,. I do an adult county match Saturday in middle or on the line. On Sunday I always do two youth matches. These will be under 16 or under 18 both in the middle. During the week I will either do another youth middle or line on Tuesday or Thursday evening or a line. So 4-5 matches per week of which at least two or three will be in the middle. I cover 5.5 to 6 miles in the middle and usually 3 to 3.5 miles on the line. The problem I have is with my heelers. I am trying all sorts of heel, inserts and different boots or trainers, but it can be very uncomfortable. Hope that helps.

Back