A&H

How many cards?

wazztie16

Level 4 Referee
Level 4 Referee
31 games in the EFL today. I've just worked out (according to Livescore) how many cards were given in total.

Let's see who gets closest 😉 (no cheating!)

I'll post the answer tomorrow at midday (if I remember).

The Referee Store
177! (Though I did count double yellow reds as 2 cards, not 3. Not that it would've made much difference)

Just shy of 6 per game. Started to go through them working out whether foul/dissent/delay but couldn’t be arsed after a while 😂

In the Wednesday vs Southampton game there were 8 cautions. 3 were for delaying the restart and I don't think any of those would have been given last season, and one was for dissent which definitely wouldn't have been given before. If that game is typical then it is fair to assume there will be around 50% more cautions than before, as well as a lot more cautions for coaches and managers.

I think the coaches and managers will learn very quickly, especially as if they are sent off they cannot watch the game from the stands, the only option they have is to watch a live stream in the changing room. No idea how that will be enforced though, e.g. who or what is going to stop a sent off home manager from going to his office to watch it.

I think the coaches and managers will learn very quickly, especially as if they are sent off they cannot watch the game from the stands, the only option they have is to watch a live stream in the changing room. No idea how that will be enforced though, e.g. who or what is going to stop a sent off home manager from going to his office to watch it.
Where have you seen that?

Or just wander up into one of the boxes if they're at home. Who's gonna ask/tell?

I've definitely seen it said that they can't just watch from the stands, I don't think that specifically means they have to watch a stream in the changing rooms though. Just that they can't be allowed to see the pitch (or more importantly perhaps, be seen by cameras watching the game).

It's a particularly interesting x-roads in the game
There's quite a lot of pushback against the idea of extended injury time with some good arguments for and against what represents a big change to the game. Of greater interest, is the the clampdown on behaviour. Until the initiative is put to the test in the Premier League, it's very hard to predict how things are gonna pan out. There's a conflict between being very strict with cautions whilst keeping everyone on the FOP. What I've seen is that players on a yellow card can still take the p1ss. My view is that unless the PGMOL Refs are brave enough with second yellow cards, the top professionals will continue to rule the game and the initiative will fail to a greater or lesser extent

From our perspective as Referees, it's gonna be intriguing to see what happens and equally fascinating to see how things pan out at our different tiers in the game at which we referee

Agree completely. More cautions for dumb things like delaying restarts and lower tolerance on dissent is great - but it falls apart if players learn that refs won't pull out a second yellow for it, or will raise tolerance on reckless tackles/give them an additional foul or two towards PI for the second yellow to compensate.

In all but the most extreme circumstances, it's amazing how quickly players will adapt to a ref drawing a line. Almost every time I've given a sin bin, I see how players respond for the rest of the match and then kick myself for not going to the sin bin earlier. If PL refs hold firm, I'm confident this will get results in the long-term, but if they start introducing regular loopholes and exceptions, the players will adapt to that too.

Back