A&H

How do you hold your whistle?

I'm a new ref, and feel I'd drop my whistle. So I made a contraption. A coil wrist bracelet with a loop of ball chain attaching the whistle to the bracelet. So I hold the whistle comfortably, but can drop it when needed. The bracelet has a pretty sparkle to it too - it's kids' jewelry. ✨View attachment 5908

Also, I'm brand new to this forum. It looks like a great place to learn and ask questions. Thanks to those of you who help run this!
I mean no disrespect by this, but I think this looks totally unprofessional.

The Referee Store
I mean no disrespect by this, but I think this looks totally unprofessional.
Thanks to folks responding to my comment about what I've rigged up to hold my whistle. Seems to be unanimous disapproval!

The point about it looking unprofessional is valid.
But I question the comment about it being considered jewelry and thus against Law 5.5. I don't see how it differs from a lanyard wrapped around a wrist. No difference in level of danger posed by it compared to a lanyard, and it's obviously intended as a tool rather than jewelry. I tried the wrapped lanyard around my wrist for my first few games and found it uncomfortable - the coiled bracelet is more comfy and useful (though perhaps less professional looking). How can a lanyard be considered "not jewelry" but my contraption be "jewelry" - are there criteria?

Thanks to folks responding to my comment about what I've rigged up to hold my whistle. Seems to be unanimous disapproval!

But I question the comment about it being considered jewelry and thus against Law 5.5. I don't see how it differs from a lanyard wrapped around a wrist. No difference in level of danger posed by it compared to a lanyard, and it's obviously intended as a tool rather than jewelry. I tried the wrapped lanyard around my wrist for my first few games and found it uncomfortable - the coiled bracelet is more comfy and useful (though perhaps less professional looking). How can a lanyard be considered "not jewelry" but my contraption be "jewelry" - are there criteria?
Whilst people and yourself are referring to as wrapped lanyard have you tried this? Doesnt wrap, should be as comfy as what you use and doesnt cost a fortune

RefStuff RefSlanyard Football Referee Elasticated Wristband Lanyard for a Whistle https://amzn.eu/d/aLK2jv0

Lanyard, a cord designed for a variety o functions
Bracelet, Jewerly

yiu cannot go round telling players to remove a bracelet when you have one on yourself
leave aside any danger aspect, the law states the referee cannot wear jewerly
( watches, stated as essential)

the bracelet can only be considered jewerly, regardless of its intention

Back