A&H

Help! First game with neutral ARs

The Gump

I've used the search function to try and find a thread on this without success, so apologies if there is a thread somewhere I couldn't find.

Been allocated at short notice by first County Cup Semi-Final tomorrow - as it's a SF there are neutral ARs and this will be my first time with neutral ARs! 😱

I'm a senior manager in my day job so confident communicating and leading a team, and I'm used to briefing CAR's and do allow them to do offsides and really try and use eye contact etc when I'm looking for guidance on throw-in direction etc. But having never done it before I'd really appreciate any advice tips about what to say/what not to say to the ARs pre-kick off, in match/communication tips and any other advice you think is relevant!

Thank you in advance!!!

PS As an aside, it's my first non-youth Semi-Final. High stakes obviously and everything that comes with it, but any specific tips on game management or - as I'm currently planning - just ref it like it's another game?

The Referee Store
Talk to them, check their experience level.
Don’t try to brief too many things.
My 1-2-3:

Ball in/out, goal/no goal - remember every shot might hit the bar and the line. Concentrate;)

Offside wait and see. If you don’t know who touched last, you flag. My job to wave you down. If I wave you down, it’s a good thing, we are communicating.

You can flag fouls but take your time. Look at me, am I already signaling yes/no, is there advantage.

…Overall take your time. Eye contact. Obvious tips (finger pointing and/or body movement, AR should tip by changing flag hand). Enjoy! Know each others’ names!!!

i would recommend how you want them to handle PKs. The Laws no longer mandate the signal the AR should give if GK off the line should be a retake. Decide if you want a full flag or a more subtle signal (if I have experienced ARs, I ask a full flag; I’m less confident, I ask for a more subtle signal, usually flag at waist)

Talk to them, check their experience level.
Don’t try to brief too many things.
My 1-2-3:

Ball in/out, goal/no goal - remember every shot might hit the bar and the line. Concentrate;)

Offside wait and see. If you don’t know who touched last, you flag. My job to wave you down. If I wave you down, it’s a good thing, we are communicating.

You can flag fouls but take your time. Look at me, am I already signaling yes/no, is there advantage.

…Overall take your time. Eye contact. Obvious tips (finger pointing and/or body movement, AR should tip by changing flag hand). Enjoy! Know each others’ names!!!
Super helpful - thank you! Pretty much in line with my CAR briefing except the fouls and "concentrate" becomes "enjoy it"!

i would recommend how you want them to handle PKs. The Laws no longer mandate the signal the AR should give if GK off the line should be a retake. Decide if you want a full flag or a more subtle signal (if I have experienced ARs, I ask a full flag; I’m less confident, I ask for a more subtle signal, usually flag at waist)
Great tip and something I'd have never thought of having only worked on my own thus far. Thank you.

I say to both ARs, you’re both referees so sure you’ll get it, to leave penalty kicks to me, I will hopefully be closer & then can be consistent in both penalty areas, very happy for you to come in give me a penalty if I am out of position on they half way line or your side you see a handball on a cross your side & my blind side. Or I may be staring at you to help me! But only give if you are 100% sure, any doubt don't give it.

My concern if I haven’t worked with the ARs, could they be too busy & be getting too involved.

Thanks for the advice guys, was really helpful.

The two ARs (one L5, one L7 but with several more years of exp than me) couldn’t have been nicer.

As well as being my first game with neutral ARs, it was only my second Open Age game (long story but sounded like a scheduling **** up so wouldn’t normally by allocated a County Cup semi!).

Missed a few things and reffing almost exclusively youth football I definitely need to be firmer in OA on chat/low level dissent but generally went pretty well and, having middled on my own for a year and half with no observation it was great to get some genuine hints and tips from the ARs, who’ve both been at it way longer than me.

Back