A&H

Hello from the other side of the pond

Athar

Level 7 Referee
Hello to my referee friends in the UK!

I've played the game (dare I say "soccer"?) since I was about nine years old. I've been referee in the U.S. (on and off) since 1985. I currently officiate amateur adult, high school, and competitive youth (travel) matches in Virginia. I work in Washington and my day job is in government service (don't ask what it is, or else I'll have to electronically kill you... ;-)).

I enjoy being a referee, as long as my knees hold up. Referees are a great group of folks and the camaraderie is just great. So I thought I'd reach out and see what things we share in common.

Look forward to touching base every now and then, as well as hearing about your challenges, issues, concerns, etc.

Athar

The Referee Store
Thanks for the warm welcome, mates! Given the environment, I'll try to refrain from using the "s" word, but I do have a bad habit about that. Lest there be an confusion, even when I do say football, I'll be clear whether or not I'm talking about the NFL. ;)

Thanks, Jack. Ya know... it's kind of odd. I grew up as a Washington fan (please let's avoid the whole "Redskins" debate ;-) ) In recent years, except for the playoffs, I've actually become a significantly less avid NFL fan. At the same time, there are more avid followers here of EPL, La Liga, etc (and, of course, MLS -which has grown tremendously over the past two decades). Further, I don't think I found a more rabid (and well-informed) NFL fan than when I struck up a discussion with a shuttle bus (lorry?) driver on a recent business trip to England! I had no idea! What's next, will you being following MLS?

I'm not entirely sure why a lot of Brits have taken a sudden liking to the nfl, I jut started watching it because my dad does and loved it straight away, even though at the time I had no idea what was going on. Disappointed I didn't get tickets for any of the games at wembley for next season.

It's all the razzamatazz!

That and the game lasts forever, which is good for a couple of beers whole you watch it.

Thanks, Jack. Ya know... it's kind of odd. I grew up as a Washington fan (please let's avoid the whole "Redskins" debate ;-) ) In recent years, except for the playoffs, I've actually become a significantly less avid NFL fan. At the same time, there are more avid followers here of EPL, La Liga, etc (and, of course, MLS -which has grown tremendously over the past two decades). Further, I don't think I found a more rabid (and well-informed) NFL fan than when I struck up a discussion with a shuttle bus (lorry?) driver on a recent business trip to England! I had no idea! What's next, will you being following MLS?
NFL has been growing steadily in the UK since the early C4 coverage of the early Eighties and today's extensive coverage on Sky Sports has raised the profile even further. The fact NFL sends teams over to play at a sold out Wembley says it all really.
From this season MLS is also broadcast live on Sky Sports (selected games). Last weekend we had the Orlando/NY Citeh game live. With the likes of Lampard and Gerrard retiring to MLS there's bound to be some interest from England and the Irish will pick up on Robbie Keane at the Galaxy.
The BBC with 5Live radio regularly cover MLS on their World Football Phone In (there's also a podcast of the show) with contributions from the likes of Sean Wheelock, Jon Arnold and sometimes Arlo White.
With all that MLS could grow significantly in the UK in the same vein as LA Liga, the Bundesliga and Ligue Un.

On the MLS, I've been fortunate to witness an amazing evolution of professional soccer in the States (again, as a player, a youth coach, and referee). The fact that any Brits/Europeans are following the sport in the US is quite telling. Keep in mind the history. Remember the surge of interest when Pele and Beckenbauer (granted, well after their prime years) played for the now-defunct NASL (Cosmos) in the 70s? Cruyff, of all players (after his prime as well), played for my "home" team of the "Dips" (Washington Diplomats). While entertaining at times, it was admittedly an inorganic and unnatural growth of "American soccer". Except for the kiddies, there was little real connection to "your team". If I recall accurately, it was actually difficult to institute a league requirement that at least two Americans be on each team! I could go on about how different things were. But now, we have a mature (20-year old) league with soccer-specific stadiums in which primarily American players play the game... and they each have very strong fan bases. It's just Amazing. And it's not just growing (or validated) because of the recent interest of folks like Beckham, Lampard, Villa, etc. It's our own game now! Some ask whether we are competing well with MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.? Frankly, nobody really asks that question anymore. If anything, the other sports leagues should be more concerned about MLS because guess what?. Soccer (unlike the other sports here) has grown steadily and sustainably - and it has plenty of room for growth. More kids are playing soccer than anything else. The colloquial "soccer Mom" reflects that in the broader culture. Has the broader culture arrived at a level of passion for the game that matches England, Brazil, Italy, Germany, etc. Not... yet, for sure. But I'm sure - and many diehards of La Liga, EPL, etc might disagree with me (or even call me crazy), but I truly believe that over the next 10 years, you will see tier 1 players choosing MLS over the others in the formative years of their career - not in the waning years. Phew... I had no intention to write so much.... must be a bit of passing spilling through. ;-).

Thanks, Craig. I have not actively been contributing a great deal to the forum lately, but I hope to do so more soon.

Back