A&H

Hands in the back ref!

mctones

Hi All

Something I struggle to get consistency with, the line between a defender pushing an attacker in the back versus right to stand ground (prompting shouts of hands in the back ref!).

Any advice on this please, what tips or general rules do you use?

The Referee Store
In terms of foul recognition, "hands in the back" isn't actually a foul. It's not a non-contact sport, it's perfectly legal for a player to use their hands to feel out the position of an opponent while looking for a high ball. So don't get conned into giving soft ones for every contact, because that creates a really difficult standard to consistently uphold.

What I'm looking for is the action of straightening arms from bent, which is the giveaway for a push - of vice-versa for a pull if they happen to have a handful of the opponent's shirt. Bent arms or straight arms that remain the same are almost always going to be legal when challenging for a high ball.

The easiest way to improve your recognition of this is to get side-on, it's much easier to see this from the side of the two competing players and you should be targeting getting in this position from every long GK and defensive FK as an absolute minimum. It's a little harder to reliably be in this position during open play, but still not impossible and still worth going for every time the ball goes up high.

Remember that the ball in the air cannot commit a foul, so when it does go up, take a quick glance to work out where it's going then focus on the ground in the drop zone. Players there are where you'll need to make a call, quite possibly before the ball even arrives, so there's no point looking elsewhere.

In terms of explaining it, my go-to shout is "No push there, he's allowed to feel where he is" - doesn't make much sense written out! But in context that's usually clear to the players.

To be clear push in the back isn't necessarily a foul either. It has to be a careless push.

An example of a non-careless push in the back is when a player with their back to another is pushing back. The defender behind is entitle to push to maintain their position.

In terms recognising them and being consistent, experience and practice is your friend. The more you call them (or not) the better you get at it.

In terms of foul recognition, "hands in the back" isn't actually a foul. It's not a non-contact sport, it's perfectly legal for a player to use their hands to feel out the position of an opponent while looking for a high ball. So don't get conned into giving soft ones for every contact, because that creates a really difficult standard to consistently uphold.

What I'm looking for is the action of straightening arms from bent, which is the giveaway for a push - of vice-versa for a pull if they happen to have a handful of the opponent's shirt. Bent arms or straight arms that remain the same are almost always going to be legal when challenging for a high ball.

The easiest way to improve your recognition of this is to get side-on, it's much easier to see this from the side of the two competing players and you should be targeting getting in this position from every long GK and defensive FK as an absolute minimum. It's a little harder to reliably be in this position during open play, but still not impossible and still worth going for every time the ball goes up high.

Remember that the ball in the air cannot commit a foul, so when it does go up, take a quick glance to work out where it's going then focus on the ground in the drop zone. Players there are where you'll need to make a call, quite possibly before the ball even arrives, so there's no point looking elsewhere.

In terms of explaining it, my go-to shout is "No push there, he's allowed to feel where he is" - doesn't make much sense written out! But in context that's usually clear to the players.
Spot on!

Look for displacement that disadvantages an opponent. (That’s a bit of a basketball mindset, but I think it gets at when the pushing crosses a line.)
I like this way of thinking about it.

Obviously ideal positioning allows you to see the push or extended arm.

But if you don't have a clear view on the push, watch for one player's body to be displaced unnaturally such that it disadvantages him. No other reason for that to happen than a push really. Good stuff, @socal lurker.

Hi All

Something I struggle to get consistency with, the line between a defender pushing an attacker in the back versus right to stand ground (prompting shouts of hands in the back ref!).

Any advice on this please, what tips or general rules do you use?
I always try and be mindful of what the player who claims he's being pushed in the back is doing.

Often, their opponent will place their hands in the small of their back simply to avoid their toes/instep being trampled on by a player who is backing into them. A painful injury as I know to my cost. ;)

If I see an innocuous but clear push in the back and I think it's impacted the "pushed player's" ability to collect, control or play the ball then for me that's careless and I'm giving it. :)

I always try and be mindful of what the player who claims he's being pushed in the back is doing.

Often, their opponent will place their hands in the small of their back simply to avoid their toes/instep being trampled on by a player who is backing into them. A painful injury as I know to my cost. ;)

If I see an innocuous but clear push in the back and I think it's impacted the "pushed player's" ability to collect, control or play the ball then for me that's careless and I'm giving it. :)
Another good way to think about it 💯

I see the same situation when a defender is sheperding the ball out and is probably within a meter of the ball. Except when a attacking player comes in and they push or block access to the ball over a meter away until its gone out. Now you never (or rarely ever) see this on TV but I've always thought that as soon as you move over kicking distance away from the ball I call it as obstruction.

Is this correct or should I be letting it go (like they do in professional games it seems)?

I see the same situation when a defender is sheperding the ball out and is probably within a meter of the ball. Except when a attacking player comes in and they push or block access to the ball over a meter away until its gone out. Now you never (or rarely ever) see this on TV but I've always thought that as soon as you move over kicking distance away from the ball I call it as obstruction.

Is this correct or should I be letting it go (like they do in professional games it seems)?
Over a meter away seems like a good general rule of thumb for good shielding vs illegal obstruction.

I don't 100% agree that being outside of kicking distance should always be called as obstruction. I ask myself the question, "is he/she shielding in relation to the ball?" Sometimes this can be a meter away but still technically not in kicking distance. In my book, I play on.

If the shield feels too independent of the ball, I call that obstruction.

So while distance is a good correlation, it's not necessarily causation.

I know, nothing exact here but it's how I feel out my subjective calls in these situations!

I'll also add it's important to know how to referee different levels differently. With kids, you call more and help them learn the game. You're an educator. As the levels get higher, you can duplicate more what you see in the pros.

I tend tend to make an announcement after 10 mins in some games, ‘I think we’ve established that everyone has a back, now please stop shouting in the back every time there’s any contact, if there’s a foul, I will award a free kick’

For me that works, most games are fine, but the odd one there are just so many shouts at every single throw or goal kick and mist of the shouts are from the keeper or a player no where near the ball.

That’s just me, it’s the constant shouts that just get on my nerves. Apart from that I’m laid back about it

Back