A&H

Handball or Not?

Marcus Alder

Was watching a game in my local park last night. Ref was having a good game despite the complaints from some of the players. A penalty was given for the following:

Defender in box with arms tightly to chest, attacker shoots, defender deliberately blocks with his chest the ball therefore striking him on the arms

Defending team protest that it wasn't a handball as his arms were tight on his chest and it was an accident

I'm not entirely sure what I would have given as you could argue that he was using his arms to protect himself, your thoughts?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
How close a distance between defender and the shooting attacker? And was it a powerful shot?

Then the question is could he have got them out of the way? If it is clear he could have but didn't then it's a deliberate hand ball. If any doubt in the referees mind whether he could have moved his arms in time, you give the benefit of the doubt to the defender and shout play on with the cut the grass arm motion. Either way, one team is not happy. :)

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Regardless of whether or not you think it's handball as this is a complete no win situation, unless the pen is awarded and then missed.
Which decision will cause you the greatest harm in match control.
Award nothing, shout accidental, no intent. The attacking team will moan for a minute or two.
Award a penalty, possibly a caution too. Penalty gets scored and the defending team lose 1-0. They will be on your back for the rest of the game.

OK guys pick holes in that. :)

I believe the KFC colonel is looking for you to slather you in his special spices mate!

Kidding of course :p

Nooooo, you naughty boy - you've used the "I" word ...............

intend / intent / intention and thus other derivities.

go wash your mouth out with wahtever substance is in your kit bag (hopefully deep heat).

hmmmm the thing is why are his arms on his chest?

im trying to picture it now? surely, arms by the side, hands slightly tucked behind waist?

depending on situatiob, penalty, deliberate positionaing of hand

Doubt I'd give it....sounds like the defender has tucked his hands in to avoid handball, hasn't made himself a bigger obstruction, hasn't 'deliberately moved his hands in the direction of the ball' and would have blocked the shot wherever he put his hands. Did he gain any advantage? Did it prevent the ball from going past him/to another attacker?

Sounds like the ball would have hit him the chest anyway, so I would probably have let play go on.

I'd give a pen as I love giving them! Chance for a breather and more often than not the taker fluffs it any who! :)

To award a free kick / penalty kick it has to be deliberate handball. Things to consider expected or unexpected position of arms. Did the player make him / her self a bigger target to deliberately stop the ball? Is the player trying to avoid contact? Travelling distance of ball between players! Penalty kicks are key moments in the game and I would advise don't be the only person who thinks its handball. Don't look for controversy and only award FK / PK if you are 100% certain! Recognition of offence or not, speed of thought, stay calm and re-run in your mind what you saw.

I'd say penalty - he had time to move his hands out of the way of the ball. By leaving his hands where they are, he his deliberately ensuring that he handles the ball and hence must be a penalty imo.

Back