A&H

Handball mess and what happens next?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Had handball preseason training with about 90 colleagues. Senior FA bod took us through UEFA training and close to 40 clips. We had the training and then voted on each clip, offence/no offence.

Downhill from here I’m afraid. Real eye opener for me. There were many clips with 20-50% differing views! Quite a few were 50/50 votes!

What I learnt is that UEFA’s very strict interpretation essentially ignores …if… “the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.”

The only exception is arm very clearly propping up the body. Anything else, if the arm is away from the body, mo matter what the player is doing, UEFA wants the offence.

Nightmare. No consideration of body mechanics.

Totally untenable away from the professional game. Also commentators’ accusations of “they’ll ban jumping next” are totally justified. There are clips were a player is being pushed so their arms go out, or they stoop to head an unexpected ball and an arm goes out… and UEFA wants handball.

It is nuts. It is not what football wants of expects. It explains why the EPL has taken their own softer line. It also explains why consistency is out the window.

I came away wondering how IFAB and UEFA could have got this so messy. Also wondering how many games will explode if colleagues follow the UEFA line… really I want to know if the association really wants this at lower levels and if they will tell the teams in advance!

The Referee Store
Since when have IFAB and UEFA understood the "actual rules of football" rather than writing the LOTG?

Examples of their stupidity -
- colour of undershorts at grassroots level - should be kit colour or black (like in Rugby League)
- caution at grassroots level for removing short - why????

There are numerous others, which I suspect people will add to.

Back