A&H

Hand Ball Leading to Goal

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
Monday I had a game in which a blue defender made an accidental handball after a shot, which did not significantly change the flight of the ball and a goal was scored. One player grumbled about the handball but seemed happy to keep the goal. In terms of match control, I'd always lean towards allowing the goal unless it was obviously deliberate, but what is the correct answer in Law?

The Referee Store
Correct answer in law as stated above but a couple of added clarifications.

which did not significantly change the flight of the ball
This is irrelevant in deciding if it was deliberate, or in deciding if you should award the goal (may be relevant if deciding if you should caution or not)

I'd always lean towards allowing the goal unless it was obviously deliberate
Even if it was obviously deliberate award the goal. On a side note being obvious is irrelevant again (except for VAR), it's either deliberate or not deliberate.

In terms of match control, I'd always lean towards allowing the goal unless it was obviously deliberate, but what is the correct answer in Law?
The correct answer is that you always give the goal in such circumstances. It doesn't matter what the nature of the handling was, if the ball ends up in the net, you give the goal - every single time.

Here's an extract from the 2006 FIFA Q&A.

Screenshot_2023_0503_112233.png
Nothing in the law changes since this date would invalidate that response.

The correct answer is that you always give the goal in such circumstances. It doesn't matter what the nature of the handling was, if the ball ends up in the net, you give the goal - every single time.

Here's an extract from the 2006 FIFA Q&A.

View attachment 6590
Nothing in the law changes since this date would invalidate that response.
There used to be a brilliant question in the exam which gave the scenario of a defender successfully preventing the goal, realising his predicament and kicking the ball into the goal (before you could blow the whistle).

Back