A&H

Guernsey

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Well that's another season chalked off and due to me accepting a job offer on Guernsey I will start next season refereeing on the island.

Obviously I've emailed the RDO and I'll contact leagues etc, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience or knowledge of football on the island?

What leagues there are? Can I keep my level 4 etc?

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
Don't think you can keep your level 4 as there are no supply or contrib leagues there. As far as I am aware there is just one league, the Guernsey Football League. I seem to remember that in Jersey they have the equivalent of a L4, a J4, but no idea if that applies in Guernsey.

Guernsey FC play in Isthmian South (and just survived this season) so lines on their home games may be possible.
The local league has only 8 teams, each playing 21 matches in a league season.
You will need to ask the RDO re your Level 4 as the island are not directly within the English FA system
Good news - the bar at Guernsey FC sells cider👍🥃

Guernsey FC play in Isthmian South (and just survived this season) so lines on their home games may be possible.
You will need to ask the RDO re your Level 4 as the island are not directly within the English FA system
Pretty sure all 3 officials are flown in for each game from England, I know lots of referees in the South East that have had that journey.

Thanks. I've emailed the RDO last week. Information regarding leagues/teams seemed a bit sketchy fro the 5 mins of research I've done. I've spoken to a few refs who have done the journey from the South West (apparently years ago Guernsey fell under the South West and its most Northerly county Gloucestershire used to appoint). It will be a shame to have to drop the level 4 if that's what I have to do but it is what it is.

Thanks. I've emailed the RDO last week. Information regarding leagues/teams seemed a bit sketchy fro the 5 mins of research I've done. I've spoken to a few refs who have done the journey from the South West (apparently years ago Guernsey fell under the South West and its most Northerly county Gloucestershire used to appoint). It will be a shame to have to drop the level 4 if that's what I have to do but it is what it is.
I'm guessing the job offer trumps all that though mate (?) :)👍

Nearly always all 3 from the South of England, but if there were a local Level 4 they may consider(?)
Circular argument though, there can't be a local L4 as there are no supply or contrib leagues there. To keep L4 status a referee would have to be willing to travel back to the mainland once or twice a week to officiate games, and clearly that isn't going to happen.

Circular argument though, there can't be a local L4 as there are no supply or contrib leagues there. To keep L4 status a referee would have to be willing to travel back to the mainland once or twice a week to officiate games, and clearly that isn't going to happen.
Clubs would be crying at those expenses

True as a Level 4, but I don't know whether Guernsey has an equivalent level(?) The Guernsey FA website talks about FA Core, etc., etc., so a bit confusing!

I'm not sure if there's any supply/contrib football on Jersey? That's only a short hop.

Pretty sure all 3 officials are flown in for each game from England, I know lots of referees in the South East that have had that journey.
I live down in the south and know a fair few level 3’s and 4’s who have made the trip over to guernsey.
From what I’ve been told-
5am you have to leave the house.
Around 8am at the airport.
You get to guernsey around 11am.
For a 3pm ko. Sounds awful 😂😂

I live down in the south and know a fair few level 3’s and 4’s who have made the trip over to guernsey.

Sounds grim. It's a 30 minute flight from Southampton (did it 2 weeks ago) and then according to Google maps it's a 12 min drive. Surely there's a opening for a level 4 to just do non dugout lines for a whole season ;)

I'm not sure if there's any supply/contrib football on Jersey? That's only a short hop.
There's no supply league, but Jersey Bulls play in the Combined Counties Premier Division South which is step 5. Looking at their referee appointments though it looks as though they ship people over from England for their home games.

Yeah, you come back the same day as well on a flight a couple of hours after the game, think they are 2pm kick offs otherwise the officials and the away team would be too late for the last flight. So you are looking at leaving home around 5am and getting home around 9 or 10pm, obviously depending how close you live to the airport.

Obviously if you get a midweek game you stay over, but would need to take time off work to get there on time, and also the following day as you wouldn't land back until mid-morning.

Whatever happens, just go for it Ben. ;)

Supply League football will still be waiting for you back here when you're in your late 50s/60s. :D:p

Whatever happens, just go for it Ben. ;)

Supply League football will still be waiting for you back here when you're in your late 50s/60s. :D:p

🤣 o I have. I accepted the job before worrying about football (and cricket for that matter).

• Haha
Reactions: Kes
Back