A&H

Got my first Sunday league game in 6 months on Sunday.

davidh1998

Got my first Sunday league game, and first game I've officiated in six months on Sunday.

Back in September I had a very poor experience in terms of abuse towards myself. I've decided to give it another shot as I did enjoy refereeing for the 1 year that I had been doing it up until that point.

Just wondering has anyone else been in a similar position or any advice/tips?

Cheers!

The Referee Store
Enjoy it mate, a great thing to do is watch other refs and realise that they game awful abuse but as a ref you know their decisions are spot on! Teams will complain at anything!

Be confident, stick to your decision and enjoy.

I won’t give you advice from a perspective of how to referee, but well done for giving it another crack!

Hopefully you get a buzz for it and want to stick with it, and there’s always support here.

Best of luck!

Just wondering has anyone else been in a similar position or any advice/tips?
Absolutely go for it again. Don't quit because then the abusers win. I was in a similar position this season where I stepped back in October due to abuse that left me in therapy and The FA and CFA with a major safeguarding issue. I took 5 months off and then when I went back, I just enjoyed reffing even more. Have fun and don't give up!

Approach the pre-match formalities with a confident look and manner.
Strong whistle and "Captains, please".
Strong first whistle at kick off.
Give free kicks early on with a whistle, then move immediately to the dropping zone, which leaves the players less chance to moan.
If sin bins are in place, make it clear early on that you will sin bin or send off if dissent or unacceptable behaviour continues.
If it continues, use the sin bin or send off.
If coaches are a pain, one public warning then yellow or red.
Welcome back.
Enjoy!

Update: Game went really well. I was a lot more confident than I was refereeing before but because of things outside of refereeing and took that into the game which benefited a lot. Handshakes all round, managers happy 1-1 draw. One booking.
Penalty shout 3 mins from the end, very slight contact but player had pretty much lost control of the ball before the contact so no penalty.

Back