A&H

Good start to the season

HarryD

There's no sarcasm intended in that title at all. Oh, and now I've hit you with a double whack of sarcasm, lucky you!

Started the season off with a 5 a side tournament with a sin bin for 3 minutes if given a yellow.
First three games, there were no issues at all. Had a laugh with the players and enjoyed it!
However, in the final game it was all different. Three minutes to go, a lengthy argument about a decision I made ended up with my first sin bin, and first yellow of the season. The numerical advantage for the other team showed as they won a penalty from a blatant trip. The response from one of the defending players also ended up with him going to the sin bin. The penalty was put away beautifully and with the game at 1-1 with 1 minute to go with a 2 man advantage was only going to end one way. 2-1 with 10 seconds to go. At which point both remaining outfielders decided to call me something different, one called me a p**** and the other called me a c***. Both were promptly sent off. With 10 seconds to go I just blew for full time there. There was an eruption of swearing at the final whistle, all directed towards me. The appointment secretary for a local league was also watching and tried to calm them down to no avail. If this is how it's going to be all season, I'm in for a long year!!

The Referee Store
Small sided football always seems like a good idea until you lock 10-12 players inside a space around the same size as a penalty area where they are constantly in challenge/confrontation/conflict proximity with their opposite number without respite for 20 minutes or so.

I've got a summer tournament next Sunday morning I'm doing it's probably going to young age group but gonna have some very interesting thoughts

Small sided football always seems like a good idea until you lock 10-12 players inside a space around the same size as a penalty area where they are constantly in challenge/confrontation/conflict proximity with their opposite number without respite for 20 minutes or so.

That's just futsal. But yes, I agree. Pretty much why I quit that accursed game.
It's hard getting used to managing the games too. Less accountability for the teams is highly problematic, as is the fact that you're never more than 20 yards from the person mouthing off at you.

That's just futsal. But yes, I agree. Pretty much why I quit that accursed game.
It's hard getting used to managing the games too. Less accountability for the teams is highly problematic, as is the fact that you're never more than 20 yards from the person mouthing off at you.
I agree about the accountability aspect as the venue almost always puts commercial considerations before those of the safety of the non offending participants (including the referees).

Small sided competitions are harder than 11 a side. As Brian says, the event is to make money, and referee's sending players off isn't making the competition money. Unless its 'unmanageable' you keep them on. Without being too harsh, you have to accept this with competitions and stay clear or change your refereeing style to suit and manage without the use of cards.

To be fair, the tournament organisers all said I did the right thing, my dealing with it was 'faultless' - they made their money so all was good :p

Back