A&H

Goalkeepers water bottle

Dave992

So, we all know goalkeepers like you have water bottles in the goal area or off the field of play.

This question is very hypothetical, a goalkeepers
Places a water bottle or throws back a water bottle, which lands off the goal line, In turn, the ball hits that water bottle, which is on the line and stops the ball from crossing the goal line for for goal, What happens?

The Referee Store
I think it would be a red card for dogso and a penalty. I remember questions about if a player throws their boot at the ball, it should be treated as an ‘extension of the hand’ and punished as a handball. I assume this would be treated similarly

edit: assuming the keeper’s thrown the bottle to prevent it from going in

Last edited:
It could only be an offence if the keeper used the bottle as part of an attack, e.g. throws it into the path of the ball. If he had just put it there before the game started and a shot later hit it then as the referee you would have to take much of the blame for not spotting the potential problem.

If the shot still went in after hitting the bottle, and it hadn't stopped a defending player from playing the ball, then a goal should be given. If the bottle stopped the ball from crossing the goal line, and it would have to be either a very heavy bottle or a very weak shot, then it can only be a dropped ball to the keeper. And the referee would be extremely unpopular.

Surely the GK has to take responsibility for leaving it on the line (if the officials do not see) and if it prevents a goal it must be red… no…?

Didn't this happen recently for real? I seem to recall a thread on this.

It's not just in the goal that can cause the problem, but also the water bottle or spare ball too close to the goal line next to the goal, which could convert a CK into a DB to the GK. Another reason for us to be aware of such things.

Didn't this happen recently for real? I seem to recall a thread on this.

It's not just in the goal that can cause the problem, but also the water bottle or spare ball too close to the goal line next to the goal, which could convert a CK into a DB to the GK. Another reason for us to be aware of such things.
This. Our local tradition is a spare ball by each goal. As ref or AR I always look to see the ball is well away. No surprises. Not just the in play ball hitting, but a close ball is inviting someone to add a second ball to attempt to prevent a goal.

You don't want anything inside the goal, it isn't worth the risk. When I first started refereeing it was common for keepers to keep a spare ball inside their goal, but now that is a complete no no and it has to be kept outside of the goal.

You don't want anything inside the goal, it isn't worth the risk. When I first started refereeing it was common for keepers to keep a spare ball inside their goal, but now that is a complete no no and it has to be kept outside of the goal.

Huh. I always insisted they be outside the net to avoid any possible confusion on a weird play where people see a ball inside the goal. And I would point out to keepers that they wanted the bottle or the ball well off the line, as they wouldn't like it if I had to do a DB on the goal area line instead of them having a goal kick. Can't say that anymore. :(

And I would point out to keepers that they wanted the bottle or the ball well off the line, as they wouldn't like it if I had to do a DB on the goal area line instead of them having a goal kick. Can't say that anymore. :(
You can, they probably have zero idea that a dropped ball in the area has to go to them, even though it has probably happened to them tens of times 😂

Back