A&H

Junior/Youth Goalkeeper screaming

Skimblet

I have had a good read through and seen many posts about the "Leave it/Mine" type of calls and how they should or shouldn't be dealt with, what i would like a bit of input on is an U12's Goalkeeper screaming as he goes for the ball. As an example Team A puts an attacker through who is being chased by defender, goalkeeper moves out making himself big and screaming at the top of his lungs as he does so, Im guessing in an attempt to distract or put the attacker off. Would this be ok or would it go down as USB?

Tia

The Referee Store
Hmm. Gut feeling is I think it would be hard to sell as an offence, as the attacker surely expects that the ‘keeper will close him down… as opposed to a surprise yell from a defender as they’re about to strike the ball, a holler directly at them in the face, or the infamous “leave it” etc.

(In the way I’ve imagined, as per your description)

Goalkeepers are all bonkers, best to just leave ‘em to it. That way madness lies 😂

I've seen this as a parent but never encountered it as an official.

Surely that falls under verbally distracting an opponent? There is no other legitimate reason for screaming (other than a condition maybe?)

Hmm. Gut feeling is I think it would be hard to sell as an offence, as the attacker surely expects that the ‘keeper will close him down… as opposed to a surprise yell from a defender as they’re about to strike the ball, a holler directly at them in the face, or the infamous “leave it” etc.

(In the way I’ve imagined, as per your description)

Goalkeepers are all bonkers, best to just leave ‘em to it. That way madness lies 😂
Suggestion at this age group - after the first scream, speak with the goalkeeper and tell them that next time they scream you will be giving a free kick to the other team. Check they have understood. Move on.

I would say it depends partly on whether the opponent was distracted by the screaming or not. If the attacker was clearly put off by the screams, an IFK and caution would not be out of the question. In any event, as others have said, probably best to warn the keeper not to do it after the first occurrence, anyway.

Back