A&H

Goalkeeper control of the ball

callmemyref

the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface
(e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands
or arms, except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

What if the GK catches the ball, drops it immediately and then takes it ?

The Referee Store
depends on the circumstances

if the keeper catches a cross then drops it (can happen frequently) then picks it up, no issue for me. same it he's attempting to save a shot

if he's in full control of the ball under no pressure, drops it and then picks it up, he's not within the laws imo but whether you penalise it is up to you i think.

And the GK is allowed to bounce the ball. On occasion it is not obvious the difference between a drop and immediate pick up and a bounce.

Back to the OP, the except language is, as so many things in the Law are, awkwardly drafted. It isn’t really an exception: if the ball rebounds from the GK, it is no longer between his hands/surface. I have always thought this was intended to ensure that people understood that if the ball comes loose from the GK, it‘s fair game.

Pretty much as others have said. The keeper can control the ball with the hands after saving/parrying it.
My interpretation or how I apply this is of they stop the ball with the hand, and the control is momentary I would then allow the keeper to assume full control without penalising.
However, if they have full control, release itx then take control again then that's an offence

I also have a funny feeling of seeing a circular or clarification on this scenario

One of the reasons we need to know this is that if the keeper is in control of the ball, then release it, they are no longer allowed to touch it with their hand.

So when you say drop, it's something I would have to see. If it's full control (holding it) then deliberately dropping it, then I would count that as a release. If it's an accidental drop but picked up again quickly then it's continuous control. However if after accidentally dropping it they wait a long while of move it around with their feet then I would consider it released. It's really is one of those I would have to see.

I once saw a referee give an IDFK after a keeper parried a fairly tame shot, then dribbled it to the edge of the area and picked it up. The opposition scored and all hell broke loose, and him having a good game turned into a nightmare from that point on. When I asked him after why he had given it he said that the keeper could have caught the shot so he isn't allowed to handle it again. I didn't disagree that he could have caught it, but there is nothing in law to say that he has to catch the shot if he wants to then pick the ball up. No way on earth I would have been penalising that, he managed to surprise all 22 players as well as everyone else at the ground.

Where in the laws of the game is it covered about a keeper not being able to pick it up after releasing? I can never find it

I once saw a referee give an IDFK after a keeper parried a fairly tame shot, then dribbled it to the edge of the area and picked it up. The opposition scored and all hell broke loose, and him having a good game turned into a nightmare from that point on. When I asked him after why he had given it he said that the keeper could have caught the shot so he isn't allowed to handle it again. I didn't disagree that he could have caught it, but there is nothing in law to say that he has to catch the shot if he wants to then pick the ball up. No way on earth I would have been penalising that, he managed to surprise all 22 players as well as everyone else at the ground.
The Laws used to define a parry as possession. So a controlled parry down to the ground instead of catching the ball used to be enough that the call as described was right. But I believe ”parry” was removed.

Back