A&H

Goalkeeper Captains

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Is this just me, or is this becoming more common??

Had 3 games last weekend - Saturday afternoon (home captain is GK), Sunday morning (away captain is GK) and Sunday afternoon (BOTH captains GK - that is a first for a game of mine).

Seems to coming increasingly common.

Am I missing something though? Is there some secret benefit nobody knows about?

Would have been a pain in the rear if I would have needed to pull one of the GK captains in for a word 70 yards upfield :eek:

The Referee Store
I had this in my second match, away captain was the GK.

I had occasion to have a word with one of their players as his chelping was getting on my nerves, my word did the trick and I didn't hear anything from him for the rest of the game, but if I'd needed to, how do you call the skipper over when you're in the other half of the pitch?

It seems like it might cause an unnecessary delay, and in a situation where a free kick is awarded might give the offending team a bit of a break as it gives them more time to get in position.

I had this in my second match, away captain was the GK.

I had occasion to have a word with one of their players as his chelping was getting on my nerves, my word did the trick and I didn't hear anything from him for the rest of the game, but if I'd needed to, how do you call the skipper over when you're in the other half of the pitch?

It seems like it might cause an unnecessary delay, and in a situation where a free kick is awarded might give the offending team a bit of a break as it gives them more time to get in position.

I have heard referees ask the goalkeepers who they would like to nominate if they need to speak to a player upfield. Usually before the teams walk out and all the players can hear.

Good captains are hit and miss at best though keeper or not. It can work out as one less person to interfere.

Last edited:
I did just that today.

Using captains for match control is good, calling someone 70 yards won't help it though.

Tell him to pick an outfield player you can use for chatting

I did just that today.

Using captains for match control is good, calling someone 70 yards won't help it though.

Tell him to pick an outfield player you can use for chatting
I don't see much point in the keeper being captain then ? all he is doing is choosing ends !!!!:)

It doesn't help that keepers are usually the maddest person in the team.... Isn't that part of the criteria for being a keeper?

I do as said above, ask them to nominate an outfield player who will be a deputy rather than drag the keeper around the pitch.

Same here ex goalkeeper, but I don't resemble(resent?) that comment. I was the maddest

Reactions: SM
Why would you want to give a keeper more reason to dispute a goal?
Side note: In ice hockey, where only the captains can talk to the referee, the goalie can't be nominated as the captain.

I have no problems with goalkeepers even when they are very vocal. In fact, I often find goalkeepers are more sporting and friendly to a referee than outfield players. My theory is, that like ourselves, they are over critised for the mistakes ~ maybe there is a strange bond between us!

I have no problems with goalkeepers even when they are very vocal. In fact, I often find goalkeepers are more sporting and friendly to a referee than outfield players. My theory is, that like ourselves, they are over critised for the mistakes ~ maybe there is a strange bond between us!

Agree with this massively. There are a few teams around here where the goalkeeper will shout for and against everything (not in an bad way though. Bit difficult to describe) but they are the first person to shake your hand and thank you after the game

@Michael Byrne - thinking about it, you're right. I do find myself chatting to goal keepers more frequently than outfield players before and after games. And thinking about it, I do tend to have more of a laugh with them during matches.

Never really thought about this before.

Food for thought!

I was called a cheating c**T and a useless p***k by the away goalkeeper this weekend ... (I was lino, referee only booked her!)

in my opinion, ill let the goalkeeper know before the game that if he/she is needed to have a chat with a player then I will expect him/her to come to wherever I am - then give them an opportunity to pass over the armband

none of this nominating rubbish!

I had one team the other week ' where is your armband captain' 'we don't believe in armbands as we are all equal within the team' ... I promptly asked her to put sock tape or something on her sleeve to resemble her authority on the field for her team ... leave all that 'equal rights' stuff for the dressing room

I would say that a goalkeeper is often made captain as they have the best view on the pitch of the rest of the team, there movement, set up and can influence this from his position and or report this back to his manager. A good goalkeeper never stops talking to his team and moves them around when needed. Same reason a centre back is made captain as he effectively has the second best view. In terms of the calling them i always say to a goalkeeper at coin toss, who can i talk to if i need to. There is always someone.

No you dont you have a captain (the goalkeeper) and a guy you can talk to if you need him. Exactly the same if the captain is complete numpty and you find someone else to help you control the players, like i said earlier there is always someone, or nearly always.

Back