A&H

Open Age Goal posts, what should i have done/do?

Matt Redmond

Level 7 Referee
Yesterday i had a match and found one goal had an upright that was straight and the other was leaning back slightly (leaving the crossbar to go along the goal line at an angle) The other goal had a bow in the middle of the cross bar leaving it sagging in the middle. I played the match as i inspected the posts for safety and they were.

Should i have played? postponed? report it?

The Referee Store
You need to use your own judgement/ common sense with things like these, it sounds like you did the right thing in playing it, if it isn't too bad then I would just play it and not bother reporting it because the pitches are never going to be perfect on a Sunday league pitch. I take the occasion into account too, if it was a normal league match then play, if it is a cup semi/final then really if needs fixing.

At the end of the day it's your call, if you think it's not too bad then play it :)

yeah i would have played it, i had a similar incident before Christmas, and had a level 2 ref watching me, and his advice was play, it's safe to do so, and its the same for both teams.

My thoughts too. Although away side were complaining about it. I think i might report it, at the end of the day if no one ever mentioned anything things would never get fixed.

Law 18 used in this case. Providing it was safe to play it, I say go for it! But it's always worth reporting it to the league afterwards

I called one 2 seasons back as the cross bar had been swung on to the extent the taller players could easily have collided with it without the need to jump.

Ah, the days when "...and report the matter to the competition secretary" was the end of every interview question.

Apply it every time you're unsure about something like this. Usually stands you in good stead.

Back