A&H

GK Handles ball Outside PA

Fifa

Can someone please tell me what the official interpretation/ruling is on this?

Incident - Lone striker is on a breakaway just outside the PA. The goal keeper comes out to challenge and is stepping on the edge of the PA (foot is on the line). The striker shoots and keeper blocks the shot with his hands.

Question 1 - Since the keeper's foot is on the line on the PA, and the lines are part of the area in which they encompass, then is keeper deemed to be inside the PA and therefore, no infringement? (The replays show that the ball may have been outside the PA when touched by the keeper's hands however, it's not the greatest angle and I'm not 100% sure.)

Question 2 - IF the keeper was NOT standing on the line, and was actually outside the PA, is he sent off (red card) for DOGSO by handling the ball? Or, is the keeper only given a caution because he is actually allowed to handle the ball within his own PA, and therefore cannot be sent off for this?

The Referee Store
I had a similar discussion with dad this a week or so ago. But it was the reverse. My argument was if the GK feet were outside the box and he dived on the ball and handled in inside the PA is it handball. I said no as he has handled the ball inside and dad said yes. I asked the FA and is was NOT handball.

Therefore if he handles the ball OUTSIDE the PA it is handball IMO. If the GK was the last man and he handles the ball then I think he should be sent off for DOGSO.

Q1: No infringement

Q2: Dogso, red card, DFK

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks for the insight boys!
Just a quick update...I spoke to a very close friend of mine who just got appointed to the National List of Officials this year and he agrees! First point he made is, it depends first where the ball is. If the BALL is inside the box, then no infringement. If the ball is outside, then yes...handball, DFK! As for the question of DOGSO, the next question you need to ask yourself is "in what direction is the ball/player headed?" If the ball/player is moving away from goal (toward the corner flag), then you can't dismiss for DOGSO. If the ball/player are moving towards the goal, then absolutely 100% DOGSO and send off the keeper.

Thanks everyone!!!

David

It's the same if the GK brings down the opponent with his hands, or pulls him back, or pushes him over. All DFKs outside the PA, all penalties inside the PA, and at least a caution, possibly DOGSO if the opponent could've scored.

Back