A&H

Getting games..?

Benny101

Just a quick question to some of you out there.. I've recently become a qualified referee, and I've had the odd game here and there since, but I'm just wondering how I become part of a league referee etc. Do I simply email the league chairman, or what?

Cheers.

The Referee Store
Find a league close by which you are able to referee in. The league will have a referee appointment secretary. To find said secretary trail through the league website, or contact your RDO. Upon identification, email said secretary (CC in your RDO) and advise them who you are, where you live and any other pertinent information (e.g. refereeing level and background), ask if it would be possible to join the league, and give your closed dates for the upcoming month.

Find a league close by which you are able to referee in. The league will have a referee appointment secretary. To find said secretary trail through the league website, or contact your RDO. Upon identification, email said secretary (CC in your RDO) and advise them who you are, where you live and any other pertinent information (e.g. refereeing level and background), ask if it would be possible to join the league, and give your closed dates for the upcoming month.

Cheers for your help :)

When I moved to Essex, the RDO here was very helpful - he sent me an excel sheet of all the local leagues suitable for a L7, and even went to the trouble of highlighting those that were local to me. Even if your local RDO doesn't go above and beyond to this extent, he should still be a good first contact to find local leagues.

Once you have that information, do as @drahc says and email the appointment secretaries directly. Most of them will be referees or ex-referees and should be more than happy to have another referee on their lists.

On a slightly different note, I wasn't really given any advice before the completion of my course as to how to communicate with your secretary. I don't know why it didn't occur to me for a couple of months, but you'll make their life a lot easier if you get in touch with them as soon as you know you're not available to be appointed on a certain date. I seem to have built a far better relationship with 1-2 secretaries as a result of being pro-active and letting them know the dates I am definitely not available for, so as to not waste their time. If you want more games, it's worth not doing their heads in!

Find this quite unusual, round here we choose which leagues we'd like to officiate on (not a great choice!) when we register each season, RefSecs are given the details, matches come our way........simples

Find this quite unusual, round here we choose which leagues we'd like to officiate on (not a great choice!) when we register each season, RefSecs are given the details, matches come our way........simples
I have the option of running my appointments this way, but as of last season, at least two leagues would use me on every date I made myself available on. As I want the occasional weekend off, don't want to do two matches in a weekend too often, and would prefer to make myself available on "better" leagues, I end up having to take much closer control over my availability with various leagues.

Some counties have central appointing schemes, but not all. In London it would be impossible due to the sheer volume of leagues, clubs and referees, so referees register with whichever leagues they want to.

In my county we register with individual leagues our selves.

Can be a bit of a faff emailing 4 different ref secs (and county) with closed dates etc. But it does give me more granular control over what matches I make my self available for. With the obvious exception of County Cup matches where you either do that appointment or none at all.

Back