A&H

Getting between players

CallumRushton13

Level 6 Referee
What's everyone's view on this??

Personally my reaction when two players are pushing and shoving is to get between the to stop it escalating...

However I've been pulled up on this by Daniel Meeson at the YRDP, and have heard of other people getting the same response in assessments...

My thinking is if I stand there and blow my whistle then punches are more likely to fly and reds will ensue... However if I can prevent it escalating that far by pushing them apart, thus needing a strong word or caution only, then surely that's better??

Discuss...

The Referee Store
Callum there is no way im gonna risk a punch in the head in an attempt to save someone I dont even know a £30 fine and a 3 match ban ...especially when he no self control

Stand , whistle , watch , act accordingly

agree with Beezer we are football referees not police officers, doormen or any of the kind. I stand watch an then when they have finished being idiots I will then deal with what needs dealing with by issuing red cards 1st and then any yellows (usually the goalkeepers whos ran 40 yards to get involved) Dont put yourself at risk to save them cards

Stay out of harms way. If you do get hit the question you will be asked is "what were you doing that for?"

Stand back, just keep blowing whistle/shouting/watching, if it escalates, its not your problem, you have the authority to deal with it, its their responsibility to make sure you keep your cards in your pocket. If you have ARs, triangulate the pack of players at a distance of 10-20 yards so between you all, you can see 99% of the action, if it could be a very heated game, bring popcorn incase of such an event :D

Don't go looking for trouble by wading in as it always has a habit of finding you anyway.

When I'm on a game with CAR's I'll take a step back to get a wider view of what's going on. Better chance of catching the keeper doing the 80 yard run, punching someone then legging it. Players will generally pull them apart anyway, I'm not gonna jump in and getting a smack in the face (been on the receiving end of a punch by a player, but that's a different story) step back keep blowing your whistle and let it calm down. Then deal with the offenders accordingly

I agree that I won't get between two (or more) fighting players.

But, I will try and stop two players getting together. For example, if a bad tackles goes in, and I can see it flaring up, I'll get over there as quickly as I can and get between them. I'll get in front of one, and make him walk backwards, away from the other player. I'll get them far apart and make sure nothing is going to happen, before dealing with any sanctions etc.

Apart from in certain circumstances, when I get a very quick red out and diffuse the situation.

I weigh 115kg, I'm an ex-rugby league prop forward and I'm also a trained door supervisor (needed to comply with regulations for my job role as as Operations Manager in a Security company).

I have stepped into mass confrontations in the past but I'm very choosy when I do it. I always advise new referees and referees that I tutor or assess not to do it. Why try to save them (the players) from themselves and risk catching a punch "accidentally" thrown in your direction?

If there is a situation where I know I can get there and stop things escalating before there are more players involved then I'll do so. However, if I get to the situation and more players get involved thats when I step back and observe, cant stop it when it gets to that stage.

If there is a situation where I know I can get there and stop things escalating before there are more players involved then I'll do so. However, if I get to the situation and more players get involved thats when I step back and observe, cant stop it when it gets to that stage.
+1

No way I'd step in. I firstly want to give myself the best view of what is happening and anything potentially that could happen. During my ref training we were told not to step between players as there is a chance you'll end up getting a whack and it's really your own fault.

I have in the past when it's a bit of hand bags encouraged players to help their mate out by asking them to pull him away or calm him down.

Avoid any situation where you may find yourself having to push/pull/hold players or where you may be pushed/pulled/held by players trying to get at each other.

Step back, use a strong whistle and voice and let them sort it themselves....then deal with the discipline.

No way I'd step in. I firstly want to give myself the best view of what is happening and anything potentially that could happen.

Do we think that referees see more when they watch a skirmish than when they watch a corner, I wonder

I was also told on my training that it can cause more trouble as a player will get his ban for his red card for hitting another player, but there could be much worse sanctions if they hit a ref. So by putting yourself in the firing line could potentially cause the player a bigger problem for a moment of madness.

Do we think that referees see more when they watch a skirmish than when they watch a corner, I wonder

But inside the penalty box during a corner its like some parallel universe where normal footballing laws and code of conduct don't seem to apply. Even the most mild mannered of players can become rabid, head locking lunatic. And even the strictest of referees suddenly becomes blinded to the blatant assault going on! ;)

I know what you are saying , think the main difference may be that generally a skirmish will take place when the ball is dead , as you have probably just blown for a bad foul or similar

If I think I can prevent a confrontation happening, i'll step in and get between the players before they get to each other. As others have said though, there's no way I'd be stepping in to break players up.

I'm there to referee the game, not to put myself in a potentially dangerous situation.

Didn't someone mention a shotgun and a pack of cartridges on another thread. If you practised regularly it would also help you to identify the players who you needed to talk to when it all settles down

Just to add my thoughts on this

I'm 6"2 and a well-built bloke. If I was (I talk in past tense as I'm inactive for this season) ever in very close proximity to the incident, I'd almost always get in the middle of the 2 players and attempt to separate. If they were unwilling to separate and came back at each other, I'd get the hell out of there and watch and note take. No way am I getting a swift right hand!

Just to add my thoughts on this

I'm 6"2 and a well-built bloke. If I was (I talk in past tense as I'm inactive for this season) ever in very close proximity to the incident, I'd almost always get in the middle of the 2 players and attempt to separate. If they were unwilling to separate and came back at each other, I'd get the hell out of there and watch and note take. No way am I getting a swift right hand!

This. Apart from I'm 6ft and not particularly well built...

Back