A&H

Games called off -----dealing with the Call offs

This whole frozen pitch is the same as a baked hard pitch is a myth. Wear studs or mouldies on a frozen pitch and you'll be like bambi on ice, wear mouldies or even astro boots on a rock hard summer pitch and you'll be fine. Firmness is a lot different to ability to grip, and if we took the firm pitch as being dangerous approach no games would ever be played on 3G.
4G is infinitely safer and better than rock hard summer pitches. Players simply can't go to ground during drought conditions. However, there's still a tiny bit of give in the summer, unlike when the ground is frozen, in which case, playing = total stupidity
In recent weeks, I've seen results posted for games in my youth league, played on concrete ground, yet assigned a qualified ref. These L7's can only be doing it for the money

The Referee Store
Which translates as 'a bit on the soft side'

TBF I think the weather forecast probably paid a part - heavy rain 2000 - 0000 - light rain then until 0500.

I'm back there again on Sunday (See 3 in a row thread), so fingers crossed for that one!

I’ve played on waterlogged back in the day, usually the worse pitch’s these days are council owned so they are called off for you.

Last Sunday I had doubts over a pitch and called the game off.

What annoys me is a team desperately trying to convince you to keep it on even after you made the decision.

Amateur football is awash with strange decisions. I've played on a pitch that was harder than concrete and it was -5 (we only turned up because league rules said you had to have at least 7 turn up and sign the match card). Young ref clearly wanted the fee. He ignored the iced over pitch but was very concerned about the pegs not being in (we couldn't get them in you plank, it's frozen!). I've also had a game called off for "standing water". Literally a puddle about a foot long in the centre circle, all the rest of the pitch fine. He clearly didn't want to be there lol.

My point being that if you're coming towards the end of your playing career then it's highly likely that you've experienced some mental decisions to call off or play matches. Sometimes it's because the refs have been persuaded by some mental players! You will get stick whatever your decision. Just make it, explain why,maybe answer the odd question but there's no need for debate, it just increases the stress for all. Get away quickly

What annoys me is a team desperately trying to convince you to keep it on even after you made the decision.
Last Sunday was frozen solid (-5 in the Home Counties)
Unless your game was kicking off towards midday, there was no chance

And it would be madness to play football at the end of one of the busiest runways in the world, regardless of the ground conditions ;) ...✈

Last Sunday was frozen solid (-5 in the Home Counties)
Unless your game was kicking off towards midday, there was no chance

A huge wave of common sense washed over Sheffield last week. All 3 games called off the night before due to frozen ground and a forecast of freezing temperatures. None of the players travelled and we could all do something else (I went to see my step son rugby match). I was expecting to have travel to at least one frozen pitch whilst doing the inspection accompanied by a player/manager who claims to be a ref!

A huge wave of common sense washed over Sheffield last week. All 3 games called off the night before due to frozen ground and a forecast of freezing temperatures. None of the players travelled and we could all do something else (I went to see my step son rugby match). I was expecting to have travel to at least one frozen pitch whilst doing the inspection accompanied by a player/manager who claims to be a ref!
I didn't have a game, but I'd have been calling the home team on the eve of the game to bag some extra zzzz's

Back