A&H

Open Age Game tomorrow (assistants question)

ELP

Everyone's Favourite Member
Have a game tomorrow at a club I didn't have a good time with last year. As always, new game, new mindset, but I have heard complaints from several refereeing colleagues about this particular team already this season and we're only 6 games in. :(

Bit of a weird question, but what are your guys' opinions on taking your own assistants with you? Granted it's not likely I'll find two qualified refs who will come and do the lines for me (especially at such short notice), but if for example I take two friends who I know know the laws and stuff... what position does that leave me in? Can I treat them essentially as NARs and would the clubs have a place to complain that they didn't get to use a CAR? (not that I think they would think about complaining, but still!)

Cheers fellas

The Referee Store
Ask the league's ref sec if he/she has a problem with that. If not, then clear it with the two clubs.

If they're all happy, then the job's a good'un, though technically they'll probably be seen as CARS depending on what the league rules state.

Remember to give them both a third of your match fee too

Iv took a mate with me to the game before and said 'is it ok if ma pal does the line'. Normally one team is happy they dont have to do it. However he knows that he only signals if the ball is out for a throw and nothing else. Not that anyone would argue with him mind you he is a big lad.

To e honest mate , I don't think I would............................. unless your mates are looking to get into reffing and want to see what its all about .....

There is a good chance they will be throwing the flag on the floor after 5 mins , saying f...k this for a laugh im doing you a favour here... then you will have to pass the flag on anyway

I think it could cause more problems than solutions

but if they want to have a go and you have run it past your league sec ..........why not

I agree with Beezer.

I also think it would be much better for your development as a referee if you tried to handle it yourself rather than getting into the mindset of bringing your mates along whenever you've got a tough game coming up.

Plus, approach it without pre-judging too much - the other week I had a game and the home team manager 'warned' me of the dissent, misconduct etc of the away team but they turned out good as gold!

the other week I had a game and the home team manager 'warned' me of the dissent, misconduct etc of the away team but they turned out good as gold!

We get that every week here - "Ref watch out they moan about everything they're horrible". "Ref watch out last time we played them their manager told me to go suck a cornflake" "Ref watch out their number 9 told my dog to go **** itself"

Don't. You are inviting trouble by bringing a couple of referees along. View it from the club's POV. You're saying ...
  • You don't trust them to behave.
  • You don't trust their CARs to act honestly.
  • You don't feel safe refereeing there on your own.

If the league decide that a fixture should have NARs, it will appoint NARs. Otherwise it expects the appointed referee to deal with everything in that game. They have faith in you and trust you to be able to manage the game on your own.

Reactions: SM
Thanks for the advice all. I decided to go without it and used CARs, and guess what?

67th minute of the game and away teams only sub is running the line, gets pissed off at a player for disagreeing with his flag (which in his defence was correct, but all player said was "no way") so started calling everyone "inbred c***s"... in front of spectators including kids... Binned him... should have taken my own. Haha

Inbred cu...s !!!! You didnt happen to be on Sheppey by any chance did you ??

Back