A&H

Fulham Suspensions

The Referee Store
Fulham have now requested a personal hearing on the charges.

Based on the article below, it seems there's a good chance they will bring up the fact that Bruno Fernandes was not punished for what they feel was a similar incident.

Fulham request hearing on FA charges

That's akin to a defence plea for a murder charge being that there are other unsolved murder charges, and therefore the offender shouldn't be punished.

If Fulham go down that route there absolutely should be additional games added to any suspension.

That's akin to a defence plea for a murder charge being that there are other unsolved murder charges,

I don't think they are saying there are unsolved murder charges. They are saying there were murders but the known murderer was not charged, so you should not charge the murderer in this case.

For me this would be judiciary version of LWR. Last week's ref let it go, why are you acting on it.

Is that 3 game ban a 'final decision'? Surely not..... I mean, I'm no supporter of RefSupport<wherever>... but surely this is not the final decision/sanction

if he ends up with a 3 game ban it just shows how unfit for purpose the FA are

many words spring to mind...spineless...gutless...give their own internal appeals panel and opportunity to right this wrong though before confirming my opinion of them

I wouldn't read anything into Mitrovic's quotes. Almost certainly he's made submissions through counsel that he accepts he's guilty of the offence and accepts the standard penalty of three match ban. The "voluntary fine" is the giveaway as I bet the submissions include something along the lines of "and in those circumstances he would be subjected to a two weeks wages fine by Fulham".

It's the typical cut and thrust of disciplinary cases were FA will be arguing for 12 and the player arguing for 3 in the hope the Independent Panel will go at the lower end.

Terrible PR ploy though, as the apology is clearly forced as part of his mitigation pleas.

FA will still be going for 10 or 12 imho.

It's the typical cut and thrust of disciplinary cases were FA will be arguing for 12 and the player arguing for 3 in the hope the Independent Panel will go at the lower end.

Terrible PR ploy though, as the apology is clearly forced as part of his mitigation pleas.

FA will still be going for 10 or 12 imho.
Agreed.

All Mitrovic is doing is effecting soundbites as part of the trial by media in the hope that it might influence the FA before he goes in the dock as it were.

I hope they really nail him.

Agreed.

All Mitrovic is doing is effecting soundbites as part of the trial by media in the hope that it might influence the FA before he goes in the dock as it were.

I hope they really nail him.
100%, but it'll be a typically governing body thing to do to make an example of someone/a specific incident but not dealing with the root cause (acceptability of high dissent and surrounding the referee going largely unpunished at the upper levels of the game).

Whatever happens to Mitrovic, nothing will change for grassroots referees until there's a sea change in behaviour/tolerance of behaviour in the pro game.

Reactions: Kes
When Mitrovic was first charged, the FA statement at the time said that they believed the standard three-match ban for violent conduct was "clearly insufficient" for the severity of the incident.

So I don't believe that they've only banned him for three matches (and I can't see anything official to that effect). I think, as others have implied, this is just Mitrovic trying to float the idea of only getting a 3 match ban in hopes that it somehow influences the outcome.

OFFINABUS is an automatic 3 game ban, and that gets applied immediately, so technically speaking Mitrovic is right to say he has been banned for 3 games. However, the FA have issued an additional charge on the basis that 3 games was clearly insufficient, until Fulham and Mitrovic either accept this additional charge or request a hearing no one knows what any additional suspension will be.

OFFINABUS is an automatic 3 game ban, and that gets applied immediately, so technically speaking Mitrovic is right to say he has been banned for 3 games. However, the FA have issued an additional charge on the basis that 3 games was clearly insufficient, until Fulham and Mitrovic either accept this additional charge or request a hearing no one knows what any additional suspension will be.
OFFINABUS is two matches, Mitrovic was sent off for violent conduct - The FA can only submit a clearly insufficient claim for a dismissal for SFP, VC or spitting.

I read Mitrovic’s statement as, “I’m going to admit that I deserve a three match ban to gain sympathy in order to not get any additional matches.”

Hopefully, the review panel sees through that and suspends him for the rest of the season. 10 games should be a minimum, and Fulham has 11 left. Just add the extra game to get the optics of a rest of season ban.

If the suspension is the minimum, I’d love to see a general referee boycott of matches to highlight the issue. I get the PGMOL referees can’t participate, but everyone below that should bad together and not officiate for a couple of weekends to make a point about the lack of punishment for referee assault.

Mitrovic gets 8 games
Better than 5 but two more would’ve been the whole season and sent a better message imo. now he’s got two games back in right at the end of the season for no reason. He also denied the aggravated charge so good and fair reason to extend the ban.

Better than 5 but two more would’ve been the whole season and sent a better message imo. now he’s got two games back in right at the end of the season for no reason. He also denied the aggravated charge so good and fair reason to extend the ban.
3 games back, he’s already served one of his games

Back